Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pradeep467
Helper II
Helper II

Configure PBi gateway to connect to Azure Gen2 Blob Storage

Hi Experts,

We have a requirement to configure PBI on premises gateway to Azure Gen 2 Blob storage, I looked up for any documentation and could not find much.When I started the configuration on gateway , its asking for server Id and other information, not sure where I can get it from Azure portal when I looked up into the storage account I plan on configuring I could not find the required info.

Can anyone please suggest the steps or any pointers for configuration on the service.

Kumar

7 REPLIES 7
NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @pradeep467 @Dugjibe 

Here are the some links for the connection between Blob and Power BI hope it helps you

https://www.sqlshack.com/how-to-access-data-from-azure-blob-storage-using-power-bi/

https://sqlskull.com/2020/07/10/connect-power-bi-with-azure-blob-storage/

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Thanks for the quick reply, but all links point to power bi desktop. I need to configure the power bi service gateway connection to azure blob storage, which asks for three parameter: account name ( I guess this is the azure storage account name), key ( I guess this is the azure storage account secret key ) and domain. About the domain parameter I have no idea what to put here.

If you cant see a domain name created on the azure portal then the below document might help you with that to create a domain name for your blob account

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-custom-domain-name?tabs=azure-portal

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/accessing-windows-azure-blobs-using-custom-storage-domain-nam...

NimaiAhluwalia_0-1619470789600.png

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Dugjibe

I have the same issue. Connection from the desktop to azure blob is straight forward you just provide the Account name and key as listed in the azure portal under storage account. Connecting from with azure service ( using the gateway) I do not understand and there is not single description how this works. There are the fields:

Account name, domain and key.

I have no clue what domain means here. Why is the "domain" parameter in powerbi service ( gateway data connector azure storage blob) and not in powerbi desktop? I tried all kinds of thinks for the domain name e.g. url to storage account, storage account name etc. Nothing works. Has anyone an example how to connect?

@pradeep467 Download the Azure Storage Explorer to look at your ADLS Gen2 lake. It will make your world much simpler. You will find the DFS endpoints and keys easily displayed for the lake in there.

On a seperate note, you don't need a gateway since the lake is a cloud service. So once you figure out the connection paths and deploy from Desktop you should be able to just schedule a refresh.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

So we tried bulding the report by connecting to blob storage and then when we tried publishing the report from desktop to service it throws a error that it is not able to find the remote server..this gives me a suspicion that we might need a gateway configured for the Gen 2 blob storage, but could not find any documentation.pls suggest

Thanks for the response Seth, will give it a try and keep you posted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors