cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concatenate Labels option does nothing?

Hi @OneWithQuestion and @sykr0n

The tests i carried out were on power bi desktop.  Latest April Version: 2.45.4704.442 64-bit (April 2017)

Have you tried to follow the steps in the exact order to produce the chart as I have provided in the scenarios that worked?

My tests were carried with a simple revenue column in a sales fact table; and month, quarter , year in a date dimension table.

I was able to reproduce the bug and also the work around - multiple times.

following steps produce bug:

I have found that whilst in "report" screen/tab, when you select a measure e.g. sales value before selecting any chart type, power bi automatically selects the "clustered column chart" and then when you select the fields for the "axis", e.g. the  month, quarter, year then when you go to formatting to switch off "concatenate label" under "x -axis" then nothing happens.  This is the steps that produce the bug.  

work around:

So do not do the above.  Instead First select the chart (e.g. clustered columns chart)  and then select your measure for the "value" field and the columns for the "axis" fields.  then when you go to formatting to switch off "concatenate label" under "x -axis"  - it works.  The order in which you create the chart is important to avoid the bug.

I hope I have left no confusion in the steps.  if you wish to call me then pm annd i will provide my number.

cudjh1 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I cannot get concatenation to turn off - I followed your instructions exactly and it worked for two tests where I drilled into a column on a clustered column chart.  After this, it then reverted back to concatenation so the x axis titles are meaningless.  Even when this did work, it put the highest level label at the bottom of the chart and the 2nd level label as the x axis.  When I drilled into the 3rd level, it concatenated everything together in one giant run-on x axis label.  This is apparently a bug and it needs to get fixed.

(my x-axis concatenation label option is set to off and I set-up my chart in the order you outlined)

jjuelke
Advisor

this feature ist still bugy! 😞 Tested with May 2017 release 2.46.4732

Llewbear Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi guys! I also first struggled with this, but think I've managed to figure it out. You need to follow the process below to get your labels concatenated or un-concatenated. Step 1: Create a table and add your 'Date hierarchy' and 'Measure' Step 2: Turn your table into the chart you would like, i.e. line, bar or area chart (stacked or normal) Step 3: 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy' until you've reached your desired hierarchy level Step 4: Under the Formatting Pane, open the X-Axis settings and change the 'Type' from 'Continuous' to 'Categorical' Step 5: Switch the 'Concatenate labels' slider to off And voila, you have a perfectly working Concatenate label option. The key here is to start with a table, add your variables, drill down, change to categorical and then only it works perfectly. Hope this helps. Have an awesome day!! Llewellyn Holtshausen Databear.com - Your Data, our story!
Llewbear Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi guys! I also first struggled with this, but think I've managed to figure it out. You need to follow the process below to get your labels concatenated or un-concatenated. Step 1: Create a table and add your 'Date hierarchy' and 'Measure' Step 2: Turn your table into the chart you would like, i.e. line, bar or area chart (stacked or normal) Step 3: 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy' until you've reached your desired hierarchy level Step 4: Under the Formatting Pane, open the X-Axis settings and change the 'Type' from 'Continuous' to 'Categorical' Step 5: Switch the 'Concatenate labels' slider to off And voila, you have a perfectly working Concatenate label option. The key here is to start with a table, add your variables, drill down, change to categorical and then only it works perfectly. Hope this helps. Have an awesome day!! Llewellyn Holtshausen Databear.com - Your Data, our Story
Ernesto Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I might be going crazy here, but the options just dissapeared from some chart types in powerbi desktops latest update?

Highlighted
TobiasOwen Member

Still not working properly. My hierarchy has 7 levels and concatenation of drill-down labels makes the chart completely unusable.

lbuckle Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have tried this so many times and followed all the different sets of instructions in this thread but I just can't make it work with my data. I'm using a date table and I've tried with the date field, plus separate year and month fields. I've tried with different charts. I've tried everything suggested and I just can't get this to work. Essentially my visuals are meaningless if I can't format the date legend properly. Which means hours of wasted time trying to knit everything together. I'm using September 2017 version. I'd request an update if I thought this had been fixed. So frustrating. Smiley Sad

dixityashovardh Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to check if there is anything by which I can fix this?

Killing my time for such a small thing, I am using Jan 18 edition. 

davidqsuires Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

still broken for me too

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 151 members 1,684 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: