Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Concatenate Labels option does nothing?

Using this option in the service, I don't get any change to take place.

I'm using the area chart.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have Year, then Month in a hierarchy... expanding out still shows 2016 04  not a box with 2016 then inside/above/whatever all the months.

43 REPLIES 43
hilda_fernandez
Frequent Visitor

Had this same issue happened to me multiple times.. it looks like the concatenate on/off does not work if there is a sort by in the chart. remove the sorting or change it to the hierarchy you're trying to sort and you should be able to see the change in the X-Axis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous' post from 05-02-2017 02:12 AM worked for me.  Thank you

alogan
Frequent Visitor

Same problem. NOTHING works.  I have 2 fields I am using for the X-Axis.. both are text fields having nothing to do with dates.  "Category" and "Subcategory".    When I select those two for my X-Axis and select an integer Count field as the Value... then take a look at the X-Axis properties.. there is NO "Type: Continuous/Categorical" option available whatsoever... presumably because it is text values being used for the X axis rather than numeric (?)  When looking at the chart (selected clustered bar chart),   I have the ability to drill down from the category-looking barchart to the subcategory-looking barchart but neither has X-axis labels that display both category and subcategory labels so there is no concatenation of labels happening anyway.  Not surprisingly, nothing happens when I turn "off" the concatenation of XAxis. I have tried everything from all suggestions in every combination of sequence imaginable and this is the most frustrating waste of time EVER.  Think I will go back to good ol' Excel where life is simple and intuitive.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what i tried and it worked!

Shared- Axis - Create the required hierarchy and add

Column Values -  Added two measures

Drill down to the lowest level in the hierarchy (In My case it is Month under Year, Quarter, Month)

X axis settings : Turn off Concatenate Labels

This is what we generally try to do -- change settings in the format tab.

But the key that i see here is sort option which you can modify using the top right corner.

We need to sort the Visual by the heirarchy mentioned in the Shared Axis. In my case i saw a sorty by option - Sort by -> Year Month Quarter. 

Once done i see the required output. 

anitaberg
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to get this to work yesterday, then again today same issue. Unitll i remembered that the table had to be sorted by Year, Month, then the labells finally did show up with year only once then all the months above.

I am using year and month in the auto hierarchy.

But it is buggy as you don`t get the expected result by just turining off the button concatenate labels on X-axis settings.

I was having this issue so I recreated the exact same chart on a new tab and it worked perfectly. Definitely a bug!

Llewbear
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi guys. A key requirement for this to work, is the correct sorting of your date table and data. This functionality does not work if your date data is not sorted sequentially. Once the data is sorted appropriately, then recreate the chart, starting with your date hierarchy (x-axis) then your values and finally switch 'Concatenate labels' to off. This will show the data as required. 

YossiKoresh
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue, it seems that "concatenate labels" option does nothing!

YossiKoresh
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue, it seems that "concatenate labels" option does nothing!

pcloutier
Regular Visitor

With the newest version of Power BI, you need to drill down to the lowest level and sort by the hierarchy.  Also ensure the concatenate lebels is off.  Only with this sort does the hierachy not break (with my tests).  Hope that helps.

I do still consider this a bug, but that is the only way I've managed to get around it.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

this was driving me crazy. changing the sort of the visual fixed it.

Hey jfreyesmorales, anytime!! Smiley Happy Please do mark this reply as the solution to the problem so others can also find it useful.

davidqsuires
Frequent Visitor

still broken for me too

bump... having this issue with the ribbon chart too

still broken even with the new desktop version...

dixityashovardh
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to check if there is anything by which I can fix this?

Killing my time for such a small thing, I am using Jan 18 edition. 

Llewbear
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi guys! I also first struggled with this, but think I've managed to figure it out. You need to follow the process below to get your labels concatenated or un-concatenated. Step 1: Create a table and add your 'Date hierarchy' and 'Measure' Step 2: Turn your table into the chart you would like, i.e. line, bar or area chart (stacked or normal) Step 3: 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy' until you've reached your desired hierarchy level Step 4: Under the Formatting Pane, open the X-Axis settings and change the 'Type' from 'Continuous' to 'Categorical' Step 5: Switch the 'Concatenate labels' slider to off And voila, you have a perfectly working Concatenate label option. The key here is to start with a table, add your variables, drill down, change to categorical and then only it works perfectly. Hope this helps. Have an awesome day!! Llewellyn Holtshausen Databear.com - Your Data, our Story

I might be going crazy here, but the options just dissapeared from some chart types in powerbi desktops latest update?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not working properly. My hierarchy has 7 levels and concatenation of drill-down labels makes the chart completely unusable.

I have tried this so many times and followed all the different sets of instructions in this thread but I just can't make it work with my data. I'm using a date table and I've tried with the date field, plus separate year and month fields. I've tried with different charts. I've tried everything suggested and I just can't get this to work. Essentially my visuals are meaningless if I can't format the date legend properly. Which means hours of wasted time trying to knit everything together. I'm using September 2017 version. I'd request an update if I thought this had been fixed. So frustrating. Smiley Sad

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors