Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Concatenate Labels option does nothing?

Using this option in the service, I don't get any change to take place.

I'm using the area chart.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have Year, then Month in a hierarchy... expanding out still shows 2016 04  not a box with 2016 then inside/above/whatever all the months.

43 REPLIES 43
Llewbear
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi guys! I also first struggled with this, but think I've managed to figure it out. You need to follow the process below to get your labels concatenated or un-concatenated. Step 1: Create a table and add your 'Date hierarchy' and 'Measure' Step 2: Turn your table into the chart you would like, i.e. line, bar or area chart (stacked or normal) Step 3: 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy' until you've reached your desired hierarchy level Step 4: Under the Formatting Pane, open the X-Axis settings and change the 'Type' from 'Continuous' to 'Categorical' Step 5: Switch the 'Concatenate labels' slider to off And voila, you have a perfectly working Concatenate label option. The key here is to start with a table, add your variables, drill down, change to categorical and then only it works perfectly. Hope this helps. Have an awesome day!! Llewellyn Holtshausen Databear.com - Your Data, our story!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @OneWithQuestion for pointing towards the right direction to solve the problem:

Concatenate Labels option works for the following scenario:

[1] When you first select your clustered column chart and then add your entry to the "value" and then add your fields to the "axis" and then switch your formatting "concatenate label" off

[2] without selecting a chart type,  you first select the fields for the "axis" (e.g. month, quarter, year) and then select the measure for value e.g. units sold and then switch your formatting "concatenate label" off

Concatenate Labels option does not work for the following scenario:

without selecting a chart type,  you first select the measure for "value" e.g. units sold and then select the fields for the "axis" (e.g. month, uarter, year)  and then switch your formatting "concatenate label" off - (nothing happens)

- to me this looks like a bug  

I hope that i have been clear on how to work around this problem. I have tested the above 3 appoaches a few times

I tried to follow the workaround earlier, but this basic functionality is still broken? See screenshot. I'm using the April update.

Is_Concatenate_Labels_Broken.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sykr0n  did you do the following order:

step 1:  select the stacked columns chart (do not select the fields before selecting the charts)

step 2:  select the entry for the "value" field

step 3:  select the multiple fields for the "Axis"

step 4:  go to formatting --> x axis --> switch concatenate label to off

@Anonymous

I just tried the workaround and it still doesn't work.  By the way, I'm using the Power BI Desktop client (April Update), not the service.  Maybe, it's working in the online service? 

Same here as well. I also tried to use it on a table... It has the ootion but enabling it does not wrap column headers.

I kept trying and it looks like for "Concatenate Labels" off to work correctly and show the hierarchy of X-Axis fields, you have to also make sure the chart is NOT sorted by the Value field or by an X-Axis field that is different than the one you have drilled down to. Not sure if the the behavior seemed to be more clear/consistent/intuitive or it's just gotten more  complicated  with more features.

Wtf....? Sigh. Lol
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @OneWithQuestion and @sykr0n

The tests i carried out were on power bi desktop.  Latest April Version: 2.45.4704.442 64-bit (April 2017)

Have you tried to follow the steps in the exact order to produce the chart as I have provided in the scenarios that worked?

My tests were carried with a simple revenue column in a sales fact table; and month, quarter , year in a date dimension table.

I was able to reproduce the bug and also the work around - multiple times.

following steps produce bug:

I have found that whilst in "report" screen/tab, when you select a measure e.g. sales value before selecting any chart type, power bi automatically selects the "clustered column chart" and then when you select the fields for the "axis", e.g. the  month, quarter, year then when you go to formatting to switch off "concatenate label" under "x -axis" then nothing happens.  This is the steps that produce the bug.  

work around:

So do not do the above.  Instead First select the chart (e.g. clustered columns chart)  and then select your measure for the "value" field and the columns for the "axis" fields.  then when you go to formatting to switch off "concatenate label" under "x -axis"  - it works.  The order in which you create the chart is important to avoid the bug.

I hope I have left no confusion in the steps.  if you wish to call me then pm annd i will provide my number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this feature ist still bugy! 😞 Tested with May 2017 release 2.46.4732

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot get concatenation to turn off - I followed your instructions exactly and it worked for two tests where I drilled into a column on a clustered column chart.  After this, it then reverted back to concatenation so the x axis titles are meaningless.  Even when this did work, it put the highest level label at the bottom of the chart and the 2nd level label as the x axis.  When I drilled into the 3rd level, it concatenated everything together in one giant run-on x axis label.  This is apparently a bug and it needs to get fixed.

(my x-axis concatenation label option is set to off and I set-up my chart in the order you outlined)

tomafischer

Same issue. Tried all the suggested. Using April 2017 version

_Emil_
Frequent Visitor

I managed to somehow make it work, but I couldn't recreate it on a new chart with exactly the same settings.

In my case it turns out, creating a chart first (not selecting a field) and then adding measure, year, month (not a hierarchy), and setting Concatenate Labels to OFF works!

Selecting a measure first (not a blank graph) and following the steps doesn't work! 

p.s. I'm using Jan '17 PBI.

Hope that helps others

Emil 

Any update on getting this fixed?

I am  having the same issue. No solution yet?

t_o_m9

I'm having the same issue with stacked bar and column bar charts.  Neither provides the contcat label or the hiarchecal label.

Same here, hope this is fixed in next release. Option appears to have no effect in PBI Desktop.

t_o_m9

I'm having this issue also.  Using a clusterd column chart and a stacked column chart with and without hiarchies it doesn't concatenate or create the new non concat view.  It just drills down and back up with no extra text on the descriptions.

BIXL
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hן @OneWithQuestion,

Make sure that the concatination label under X-Axis is set to "off"

1.jpg

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Does it work ok on a Bar or Column chart?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

No it seems to be the same behavior.

I am using a Year and Month hierarchy connected to SSAS Live...but I wouldn't think that would make any difference???

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors