Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KimberlyS
Frequent Visitor

Composite model not working with read permissions on dataset chain

Since the April 4th annoucement that composite models only require "read" permissions on datasets in their lineage, I am trying to publish a report to end users and am having trouble.

My composite dataset (dataset #1) is published to a premium workspace.  It's lineage includes a dataflow and a dataset (dataset #2) in the same premium workspace, as well as a sharepoint folder and a database view that runs through the Power BI gateway to our on-premise data warehouse. 

My end user report is published in a separate premium workspace, and is shared via an app.   My end user has read permissions on both the composite dataset #1 and the other datset #2 in the lineage.  My end user can see all data in the report, with the exception of the data that is sourced from dataset #2.  Those visuals error out, and when I click "see details" it says:  Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

Has the enhancement to composite models not flowed through to all tenants yet?  Is there something I need to update in my tenant settings to turn it on?   Is there some additional user permission (like export data??) that is still a requirement?

5 REPLIES 5
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KimberlyS ,

Do you have RLS applied in your datasets? As a result, the user not only needs to be viewer Role for each model (or the entire workspace), but also needs to be at least RLS role member for each RLS enabled model on the composite model chain.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

One of the Power BI datasets in the lineage has RLS applied, and the user has permissions to that dataset.  But my composite dataset does NOT have RLS roles.  Do I need to add an RLS role to the composite dataset?

Also, my user does not have "Viewer" permissions to the workspace, but does have "Read" permissions to each dataset in the chain.   My understanding was that "Viewer" on the workspace was no longer required.

Hi @KimberlyS ,

Based on my testing, you must add the end users to the RLS dataset role, then they will see the report data of this composite model, otherwise it will report an error "Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual".

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KimberlyS 

Can you make sure when going into the Manage permissions on the dataset #1 and dataset #2 that the same user has got Read permissions on the dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hello, 

Yes, I have confirmed that the same user has read access to both datasets in the list of people with direct access.  The user is not a viewer of either workspace.  I have tried giving direct read access both via an AD security group and directly to the individual.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors