Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schwandt4
Frequent Visitor

Composite Model access issue

My company is starting to review composite modeling for  a few of our business use cases but have found an issue regarding access. 

We have just finishes internally testing (within our IT and analytics team) all of whom are setup with the XMLA endpoint / Analyze in Excel feature enabled and testing has gone as expected.  The issue comes when we share the report out to the business users for testing, they have access to the individual datasets that make up the composite model and access to the actual composite model report but all data is showing with error "Can't display the visual". 

It almost appears that even to use a composite model (not just create one) you need to be setup with  XMLA endpoint / Analyze in Excel feature enabled.  Is this right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Re-Reading your problem statement, it appears that you are setting xmla access on a per user basis?  I am familiar with Premium access and xmla being at a capacity setting.  Either case, I think what you did was to allow xmla to Specific Security Groups, not to the entire organization.  I would believe that the test user accessing the composite model would need to be listed at this capacity setting.

tctrout_0-1629134588495.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

Double check the composite model sources, worksspaces and access.

For example
Model A in Workspace A
Model B in Workspace B

Build Composite Model with Model A in Workspace A and Model B in Workspace B and publish to any of the above workspaces, or publish to a new workspace.

The user with access to the newly created composite model, will also need access to the source models and or workspaces.  If the test user is listed as a viewer in either Workspace A or Workspace B, dataset permsission should be inherrited.  If the test user does not have access to Model A / Workspace A or Model B /Workspace B, they will not be able to render visuals leveraging these models.

As described above, test user getting viewer access will solve this.  However, there may be scenarios where you dont desire workspace access but only want specifica dataset access, this is then when you can leverage Build Permissions for this behavior.

Thanks tctrout, in this case both model A and model B are in the same workspace, the test user has access to both models.  Also while we were trying to troubleshoot we even gave the test user contributor access to the workspace which also did not solve the issue.

Re-Reading your problem statement, it appears that you are setting xmla access on a per user basis?  I am familiar with Premium access and xmla being at a capacity setting.  Either case, I think what you did was to allow xmla to Specific Security Groups, not to the entire organization.  I would believe that the test user accessing the composite model would need to be listed at this capacity setting.

tctrout_0-1629134588495.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors