Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eloymora
Frequent Visitor

Composite Model (Redshift) & Data Gateway on Power BI Service

Hello

I've got a composite model on Power BI Desktop which has Amazon Redshift tables as the main data source and some tables from local data sources like spreadsheets or csv files.

If I publish the model to Power BI Service with just the Redshift sources, a data gateway is not required. However, as soon as I add some other data sources (e.g. a spreadsheet), I need to have a data gateway running for the Power BI service to work.

Is there a way to avoid having to install a data gateway and have this composite model running on Power BI Service?

With thanks and regards
Eloy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eloymora ,

You can upload your spreadsheets or csv files to OneDrive for Business Online or SharePoint Online.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Smile
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I've got a composite model on Power BI Desktop which has Amazon Redshift tables as the main data source and some tables from data sources like excel files that are all on the Sharepoint. 

I had the gateway installed for Amazon Redshift as otherwise it would not allow us to schedule the report for auto-refresh.

I've noticed that the gateway works fine when the model only using the Redshift sources. However, as soon as another data source (on the Sharepoint) is added, it fails to refresh the data set with the error message saying the gateway does not allow cloud datasource refresh. 

Is there a way to have this composite model running on Power BI Service with the gateway for Amazon Redshift installed?

Thank you!

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eloymora ,

You can upload your spreadsheets or csv files to OneDrive for Business Online or SharePoint Online.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

eloymora
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, @Icey . I've just tried the Sharepoint option and it works. There is no need to install a data gateway.

Kind regards

Eloy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors