Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chrisman2k6
Regular Visitor

Common Data Service Connector Issue

I just made a post about this, but was not logged in and can't tell if it was accepted. If this is a duplicate, please let me know and I will delete the other post, though I could not find it anywhere when searching.

We use the CDS connector to pull data from our CRM (Dynamics 365) and have experienced a strange issue. Within the last 2 weeks, the automatic refresh that happens from the web is blanking out one of the columns we use (Table: ActivityPointer - Column: statecode_display). When I downloaded the dataset and refreshed from the Desktop client, the data reappears and works as normal. However, if I publish and refresh again from the web, the column is blank again. I confirmed the refresh is pulling in new rows of data from the ActivityPointer table, it just blanks out this column for some reason. As a test, I also built a new dataset that ONLY pings the ActivityPointer table, and refreshed it online, but it does not blank out the column. I can go more in depth about our dataset if needed, as it does quite a few different merges and calculations to get the end result we want, but I am not sure that is causing the issue since I can refresh without problem from the Desktop. Anyone heard of this or a similar issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for the reply @V-lianl-msft ! I ended up making a support ticket, and was able to find a solution. I wasn't clear in my original message, but this field was NOT a date field, it just displayed in plain English if the redcord was Completed, Open, Cancelled, or Scheduled. There is another field (statecode - no "_display") that the system uses to calculate the "display" field, but I had removed it moths ago since we just use the "display" field. Things worked fine, but some kind of change in the system made it so the statecode field was needed to "decode" the "display" field, and adding it back solved the issue.

It still doesn't explain why it happened so suddenly, or why I was able to make a test environment that removed the statecode field and didn't have this same issue, but my problem has been solved for now. If anyone has a similar issue with a "display" field, make sure you still have the "original" field used for the calculation, and if not, add it back to see if it solved the issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisman2k6 ,

Based on your description, I doubt that the date data format has changed since it was published to the service, resulting in refresh issue.

Try changing the type to date of the columm in the query editor.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply @V-lianl-msft ! I ended up making a support ticket, and was able to find a solution. I wasn't clear in my original message, but this field was NOT a date field, it just displayed in plain English if the redcord was Completed, Open, Cancelled, or Scheduled. There is another field (statecode - no "_display") that the system uses to calculate the "display" field, but I had removed it moths ago since we just use the "display" field. Things worked fine, but some kind of change in the system made it so the statecode field was needed to "decode" the "display" field, and adding it back solved the issue.

It still doesn't explain why it happened so suddenly, or why I was able to make a test environment that removed the statecode field and didn't have this same issue, but my problem has been solved for now. If anyone has a similar issue with a "display" field, make sure you still have the "original" field used for the calculation, and if not, add it back to see if it solved the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors