Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comments and @mention

We are inviting different clients into our tenant and do not want them to view each other's users while @mentioning (since that will expose the clients because there is a look ahead when typing) Can anybody help me with the following questions:
1. Is there any way we can control who is been looked up? In other words, only certain groups should be able to comment
2. Is there a provision to turn off the comment altogether?

3. If we provide a contributor role to a guest will there be any other security loopholes that I should be aware of where the users can get exposed e.g. the way it currently happens while commenting or assigning users to a workspace etc.

6 REPLIES 6
Nexter
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please feel free to upvote the below idea.  I believe it is relevant to what you are trying to achieve.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37628479-private-comments

Hi there

I would vote for the idea mentioned and it appears that currently you cannot complete the requirements you are looking for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Currently there is no way to limit who can comment, it is either an all or nothing approach as far as I am aware.

You are able to go into the report settings and change the comments settings, so for the report no one will be able to comment

image.png

And to your final question, as far as I am aware any user that can contribute will have all the permissions associated with being a contributor, which could potentially allow them to share the content with other users (Dependant on external sharing configuration settings etc)

My best advice would be is to have a local user account with contributor settings, and see what they can or cannot do before sharing it with an external account.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

So what I am trying to achieve is the below scenario:

1. Invite guest users of Company ABC and Company XYZ into our tenant

2. So when I am @mentioning someone for Company ABC in the comments I do not want the names from Company XYZ to pop up in the look-ahead while doing so

3. Is there a way we can stop the comments for the entire workspace altogether rather than setting it up to report by report?

Along the same lines, we basically do not want users of Company A to know about the users of Company B. So I would also like to know if there are any loopholes that I should be aware of. So far I have noticed that while sharing reports, commenting (@mentioning) and assigning users the look-ahead shows up which exposes all the users.

I am interested in the original poster's question as well -- around limiting company A vs company B user information.

Oh man, I haven't thought about this in forever!  Would still very much like it to be implemented, but I've pretty much given up on it, I'm just hoping they can keep improving the PBI and Teams integration to the point where the above request would be moot.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors