Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jonathan45
Frequent Visitor

Combined datasets ulpoaded in the service

Hi,

I am looking for best practices for uploading a report in the service which contain multiple dataset linked together.

Let say I am building a report from 2 diffrents dataset from 2 differents workspaces. ( I have build permissions in both ), I combine them in a report so I don't have to recreacte all the mesures and data gathering from each dataset. 

For example purpose let say:

Dataset 1: all data sources are from oracle.

Dataset 2: has mixed sources oracle and excel/csv imported from a sharepoint.

In the documentation we can see this:

Jonathan45_0-1673016015495.png

Do I understand correctly that my report published in the service won't show the data from the dataset 2 because it has one of the data source in import excel? and If it's the case in a large organisation if we want to promote reusing dataset, we should not use data from sources listed above?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Jonathan45
Frequent Visitor

With further testing I know now what I did wrong and was not aware it would not work on the service.

I was connecting the dataset 2 when I was in the dataset 1 in import mode (with the data view and the possibility to edit query).

What I did and now it's working properly is I create a new report, I connect both dataset in direct query with the get dataset connector, do a report and then publish it on the service. 

Jonathan45
Frequent Visitor

Hi @collinq ,

Thanks for your reply! In my example, the dataset that have an excel file is in import mode. It's when I am creating a new report and connecting the two dataset together that power bi desktop is asking to be connected to those dataset in direct query. 

Everything is working in the desktop, but when i publish it on the service, I have an error for the dataset that have an excel source. I tried an other scenario with 2 dataset that only have oracle source and I don't have this error problem in the service.

In addition, if I connect to the dataset that have an excel file an do a report only based on this dataset then publish it, I don't have a problem, it's only when I want to link another dataset in my report that i have this issue.

thanks 

Hey @Jonathan45 ,

Is the Excel file accessed through a gateway? 

Is this the scenario - that Dataset 2 has BOTH Excel (import) and Oracle (direct query).  And then you are connecting to THAT dataset?  If so, I think that you are being asked to use direct query to the already established dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq 

The excel file is hosted on a sharepoint, and the dataset is connected to this sharepoint so no need here to have a gateway when only working with the dataset 2.

@collinq wrote:

Hey @Jonathan45 ,

Is the Excel file accessed through a gateway? 

Is this the scenario - that Dataset 2 has BOTH Excel (import) and Oracle (direct query).  And then you are connecting to THAT dataset?  If so, I think that you are being asked to use direct query to the already established dataset?

The oracle source is also in import mode in the dataset 2. Power bi is only asking me to be on direct query mode when I want to link dataset 1 and dataset 2.

In fact, if we forget my scenario, I did some different tests and when trying to connect 2 dataset together, Power bi desktop is always asking to be switched to direct query. That's why I thought in my first post that we should not use one of the sources mentioned if we want to share an reuse multiple datasets together.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jonathan45 ,

In Power BI you can have mutliple datasources using multiple datasets in one report.  That is one of the powerful bits of Power BI. 

So, the issue is really the TYPE of query you are performing.  In your screenshot it is indicating that you are looking at DirectQuery limitations.  Which, then it is true that your second dataset will have issue if you are trying to direct query with Excel.  But, why not import that Excel file and NOT use Direct Query for the Excel bit?  (You may or may not need a gateway for the Excel file, depending upon where it is located.)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors