Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

scnguyen92
Frequent Visitor

Columns added in Power BI Desktop not publishing to Power BI Service

Hi! 

I have an existing report where the users are requesting value based on others, so it requires a new column to be created in the dataset. I have created the column in Power BI Desktop and re-publish the report. The notification below displays, indicating a replacement of the existing data. 

image.png

However, the report when accessed in Power BI Service does not show this new column in the dataset and cannot be used in the report.  I have tried refreshing the data multiple times, but it does not populate. 

Is there a way to create this column in Power BI Service? Or is there another way to push this column from desktop to service?

I know I can delete the original report/dataset and just republish it and it will have the newly created column. However, this would mean that everyone that uses the report would have to reset their browser bookmarks and any dashboard attributes created from this report would have to be completely redone. I'd like to avoid this whenever changes are made to a data source and just update the existing report.

Thank you so much in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
scnguyen92
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get this to work. I selected "Edit Queries" and changed the source query, revered it back, and then closed and applied the query changes. When republishing the workbook in this way, it was able to get the new column to show up in the report on Power BI service. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
scnguyen92
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get this to work. I selected "Edit Queries" and changed the source query, revered it back, and then closed and applied the query changes. When republishing the workbook in this way, it was able to get the new column to show up in the report on Power BI service. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors