Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Madumi
Regular Visitor

Column labels "sum of..." (unwanted text) for summed column

I have a table report, created in power BI desktop, uploaded to my online dashboard.

I have three $ amount columns, in each of which I have selected "sum" to show their totals at the bottom of the table report.

They are labelled "Contract $", "Fee $" and "$ Billed" and display that way in power BI desktop, as well as online.

However, when I choose to export data to Excel, the column label for two of these columns changes to "Sum of Fee $" and "Sum of $ Billed." "Contract $" remains the same.

Without removing the "sum" of the column from the report, how might I remove "Sum of" simply from the column wording as it shows when exported to Excel?

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Madumi ,

After reading your description, I have encountered this problem before. At that time, I would click "sum of..." in Excel, and it would automatically become a number. Please have a try.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-stephen-msft 

Thanks so much for your suggestion. After downloading the powerbi table from power BI online (summarized data, as an Excel xlsx), and clicking on the cell which now contains "Sum of Fee $", sadly the text remains the same.

From what I'm hearing, this seems to be a bug and it only affects cell headings from fields written as DAX expressions (calculated columns).

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @Madumi 

I tried creating the same issue on my end and got to know that you have to set the summarization of the column to sum as given in the below image.

NimaiAhluwalia_0-1617084682174.png

If you keep it to don't summarize you will get the name of the column as the sum of profit in my case.

NimaiAhluwalia_1-1617084774303.png

Exported excel keeping the summarization as SUM

NimaiAhluwalia_2-1617084833389.png

Regards,

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU IN SOME OR THE OTHER WAY PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Hi @NimaiAhluwalia 

Thanks so much for your reply.

Sadly, my field summarization is already set to "sum" for all those fields. As such, the column heading in power BI desktop, as well as power BI online displays correctly ("Contract $", "Fee $" and "$ Billed").

Additionally, if I export to Excel within power BI desktop, the column headings are correct. It is when I export to Excel from the online report that it reads "Contract $", "Sum of Fee $" and "Sum of $ Billed"

The "Fee $" and "$ Billed" columns are DAX expressions, the "Contract $" is taken directly from the table it belongs to.

Is there any way I can correct this behaviour? thx!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors