Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Colleague Takes over Dataset for Refresh --> needs to do multiple credential edit

Hi all,

I have created my first report in PowerBI and am quite amazed by what is can do. However, I have linked 7 files from OneDrive for Business via a 'web link' to the report. Now I want to hand over the refresh of the report and database every Friday (my day off) to my colleague via a workspace, but every time he tries to do that he needs to edit his credentials for all 7 files in order to refresh. (see link to screenshot: https://sharingmatters-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/merel_vanstraaten_enterprise-netherlands_com...). This is very time inefficient, so I am looking for a solution where he can just simply click ''refresh'' and all data sources are refreshed. He has shared access to the onedrive.

I read about a possible solution: a gateway, but then I have two problems:

1. I don't have a computer that is turned on 24/7 or on the Friday.

2. I cannot manage to add the web links to the Gateway. It doesnt give me the option to login via OAuth2. (see screenshot: https://sharingmatters-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/merel_vanstraaten_enterprise-netherlands_com...)

So in summary:

- How can my colleague easily refresh the dataset without editing credentials each time for all linked web reports from OneDrive for business?

- If the solution is gateway, how can I add the web links and make sure he can refresh it without my computer being on all the time. Can I install the same gateway on his computer for example?

I'd appreciate any help! Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Merel

5 REPLIES 5
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

have you considered putting the files on a team SharePoint site, where both of you would have access? that way the link to the source would be static (team SharePoint) and both of you could refresh it

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stachu, Thanks for the quick response.

I tried the SharePoint site, but then he still needs to ''take over'' the credentials and edit his credentials for all 7... Or do I then need to change some settings or access privileges?

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

well right now you use personal SharePoint, what I mean is to create a team SharePoint (probably there is one created automatically if you use Workspaces or Teams), I mean something like
https://CompanyName.sharepoint.com/sites/ProjectName/

Both of you should have access to that SharePoint, connection is then static, and everyone uses his own authentication to connect to the company SharePoint

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stachu,

I tried your proposal with the link from a shared SharePoint team. However, my colleague still needs to edit his credentials and log in on his account per data source. So he is able to access and refresh the data in PBI but only after 7 times login in for each data source and then when I want to access, I have to login 7 times again.

I have changed the settings for the scheduled refresh to 'update constantly'. But even then it doesnt automatically update when he updates the database... Shouldnt that be though?

Any other idea or idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

merel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have the same problem and it's very annoying that not every user can refresh the dataset with one click.

I have tried sharepoint foler, web sources -> the "take over" problem is still there.

I also gave a kudo hoping to get help with this "limitation".

Br,

Rémi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors