Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EngChi
Regular Visitor

Cloud and on prem licensing for paginated reports capabilities

Is there any guidance or clarifications available on how to enable paginated report capabilities for existing PBI service users without having to rent premium capacity in Azure ? 

1. is this available per user ? My understanding is 'no' since there is still 'Premium' (VM) required to host it

2. is this a valid scenario below

< on prem sources> - < on prem install of power bi report server using SQL EE entitlement> - <gateway > - <service> ? 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EngChi
Regular Visitor

Spoke with Microsoft by phone today. My understanding of the conversation was that technology sets behind PBI Service and 'SSRS replacement' aka 'paginated report capabilities' are not currently integrated so it is mutually exclusive

- either I  put everything locally into PBI Report Server and host my own portal

or

- go with Service and buy up Premum capacity

it was told to me that there is no way to connect Service (PBI Pro users) to on-prem PBI Report Service

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
EngChi
Regular Visitor

Spoke with Microsoft by phone today. My understanding of the conversation was that technology sets behind PBI Service and 'SSRS replacement' aka 'paginated report capabilities' are not currently integrated so it is mutually exclusive

- either I  put everything locally into PBI Report Server and host my own portal

or

- go with Service and buy up Premum capacity

it was told to me that there is no way to connect Service (PBI Pro users) to on-prem PBI Report Service

Hi there

yes that is indeed correct.

That is the way the product is currently designed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

unfortunately such designs forces all or nothing choice between on-prem and cloud only. if technology within Power BI Pro can connect to VM within Azure (called "Premium") why cant it connect to on site server through the very same gateway product..

until Premium pricing gets a lot better, adding at least 60k a year in costs for SSRS report integration (paginated reports) to Power BI Pro is not a good match for smaller organizations

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

my hunch is that soon they will enable it for Pro users.  Suggest you go vote for the idea.  It's one of the hot ideas on the Ideas forum right now.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware currently to run Paginated reports in the Power BI Service, it has to be run from Power BI Premium.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors