Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

piper
Frequent Visitor

Cloned report not showing data in visualizations

I am new to PowerBI and want to copy/clone an existing report to new one with new dataset.

Here is what I am trying:

• I already have a report and dataset imported with .pbix file.
  • Now, I got new csv data, and I have created entirely new dataset using REST api.
  • At this point, I want to **copy existing report and point it to newly created dataset.

I have attempted following approaches:

• Clone Report with new dataset:
    • used clone report api with `datasetId` pointing to new data set
  • Clone Report and then Rebind:
    • used clone report api without `datasetId` param
    • used Rebind api to bind newly cloned report to new dataset

However, with both of above, the report or its visualisations are not populated. It is showing error as

Something's wrong with one or more fields

Here is how the cloned report looks:

Here is how the cloned report looksHere is how the cloned report looks

I have been struggling with this since couple of days.

Thanks for help in adv.

PS : 

I don't know which location I should tag this query. Selected 'Service' for now. Please let me know if anyone knows where this query belongs to.

Updates:>>>

To update further on this, here is what I experimented. (Lets call original report as 'report-A' created by uploading .pbix file)

• I have manually fixed the cloned report (which is pointing to new dataset), by configuring its legends, values etc for visualisations. (Lets call this report as 'report-B')
  • With this, the 'report-B' started showing data correctly.
  • Later, using REST api, I tried to create another new dataset with same csv file via push datasets api, and cloned the above 'report-B' report. (Lets call new report as 'report-C')
  • But again, this didn't work. And, the newly cloned report i.e. 'report-C' still continues to show same error.

Here, the dataset are identical in true sense, but issue still persists. Any thoughts on how I can retain the visualisation configuration during report clone or rebind?

6 REPLIES 6
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @piper ,

Are you using this API?

Reports - Clone Report 

This API seems to copy the report from my workspace to the application workspace.

Do you want to merge two reports?  If yes, you can create dashboards.

Or can Power BI report templates help you?

Create report templates for Power BI Desktop 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I was using the following api :

However, while cloning with new dataset, it doesn't populate the report correctly.

Currently, I don't want to merge reports.

I am new to Power BI, not sure if we can clone the templates via REST api. Need to investigate in that part. 
I will go through your shared link and will see if it serves our purpose.

It is just that, I want to automate all these for new clients/customers w/o manual intervention, atleast for existing reports.

Hi @piper ,

Has your problem been solved?

Did you fill in the API parameters correctly?

cc2.PNGcc1.PNG

You can refer to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbJeIY2CgE

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response.

Later, I got it working by following the approach mentioned here : https://stackoverflow.com/a/62150816/2152016 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well the most obvious question here, are the two datasets identical in terms of their table and column names?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Good point.

I think both the datasets are identical, as I have used same csv file to create existing and new dataset. However, not sure, if power bi does some internal manipulations for uploaded csv or not.

To further update on this, here is what I experimented. (Lets call original report as 'report-A')

• I have manually fixed the cloned report (which is pointing to new dataset), by configuring its legends, values etc for visualisations. (Lets call this report as 'report-B')
  • With this, the report started showing data correctly.
  • Later, using REST api, I tried to create another new dataset with same csv file via push datasets api, and cloned the above 'report-B' report. (Lets call new report as 'report-C')
  • But again, this didn't work. And, the newly cloned report i.e. 'report-C' still continues to show same error.

Here, the dataset are identical in true sense, but still issue persists. Any thoughts on how I can retain the visualization configuration during report clone or rebind?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors