Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clarifications required on Scheduled data refresh and constraints in Power BI Service

Hi,

I do not currently have a Power BI Service account(working on PBI RS with no access to cloud) and hence unable to try out the below.

Having worked on PBI Service earlier, I know of certain constraints and wanted to check if the same holds true as of today.

We need to use the following data sources as part of a single dataset

1. Sharepoint(on-premise installation)

2. Project Online (most likely using content pack) 

3. Salesforce

4. SQL Server

5. SAP BW (using InfoCubes)

* With Sharepoint on-premise installation, it wouldn't be possible to configure scheduled data refresh

*With Web connectors, it is not necessary to configure data refresh. However, we cannot club web-connectors with other on-premise connectors in the same report and schedule data refresh for the report

* PBI Service doesnt support Multi-factor authentication

* For Project online, we use OData Connector. However, is scheduled refresh with culture info in url supported?(I m referring to the issue below)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Project-Online-Unable-to-schedule-refresh-with-en-us-in-the...

* With data sources like Salesforce, which use OAuth2 for authentication, we can only use Gateways in Personal Mode

Request your help and inputs ASAP

Please share any useful links that you may have that delves on the above problems

Thanks & Regards,
Mannu

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous I can't speak to all the sources, but several of the constraints you list are no longer valid. You can connect online and on-premises data sources together in the same reports. The MFA "issues" are still there, but you should be able to get around that by having your IT team create a secure account that can bypass MFA.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer,
Thank you for your immediate response.
Its good to know that we can now configure data refresh with a mix of online and on-premise data sources.
Will give it a try as soon as I get an Id to work on.

Regards,
Mannu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors