cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Clarification on sharing with external users from Premium

I know versions of this question get asked a lot, and I have reviewed a lot of the answers but things have changed over time and some of the answers are contradictory. I have read the white papers on Azure guest sharing and Premium capacity provisioning, but there still seems to be disparity and room for interpretation and my IT team has doubts. Given the cost of moving to Premium Capacity they will not budge unless we are sure. So I am hoping I can get someone on here who has done the things I am trying to do to give some answers based on experience. Please, I am not looking for "in theory" or "it says in this article" responses - I am looking to get absolute clarity from someone who has been there and done it. If anyone can give me categorical yes/no answers to the below statements I would really appreciate it:

• You have workspaces in Premium Capacity
  • You have added external guests to Azure AD and did not grant them any kind of Power BI license from your tenant
  • You were able to share an app from a workspace in Premium Capacity with an external guest who did not have a Power BI Pro license
  • You were able to share an individual report/dashboard from a workspace in Premium Capacity with an external guest who did not have a Power BI Pro license

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II
Super User II

Hi there

For all of the above you would have to assign the External user a Power BI Free license and all of the above will work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II
Super User II

Hi there

For all of the above you would have to assign the External user a Power BI Free license and all of the above will work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors