Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clarification about Pro License and Premium Workspace

Hi,

I wanted to clarify a few points about Pro License and Premium Workspace.

Current Situation: I am working in an organization, and I have a pro license. I can share the dasboard with the end users. However, they are not able to access it. The end users does not have a pro license. 

The Requirement: Want to share the dashboard and data model with the end users. 

Clarifications Required:

1) Do all the users require pro license to collaborate the working on the dashboard?

2) If I have a premimum workspace, will the end users be able to view the dashboard and data models. Wil they require either pro license or premimum workspace. 

Thank you.

Regards,
Usman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

You are correct, if you share content from a Pro workspace users need a Pro licence to view that content.

If you only have a small number of users (<500) it is probably most cost-efficient to by them each a Pro licence. 
If you have a large number of users who need to see the report you can buy a Premium Capacity licence, this is an organisational licence that allow you to mark workspaces as Premium Capacity (amongst many other benefits), content on a Premium Capacity workspace can be shared with users who have a free Power BI licence. 
Note that Premium Per User licence (PPU) does not allow sharing with free licences.

Finally, if the content is not proprietary you could use "Publish to Web" with a Pro licence. This places the content on a public facing web host, so your users (and anyone else) without a licence can view it. Note that "Publish to Web" needs to be enabled by your Power BI administrator.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-licensing-organization

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

You are correct, if you share content from a Pro workspace users need a Pro licence to view that content.

If you only have a small number of users (<500) it is probably most cost-efficient to by them each a Pro licence. 
If you have a large number of users who need to see the report you can buy a Premium Capacity licence, this is an organisational licence that allow you to mark workspaces as Premium Capacity (amongst many other benefits), content on a Premium Capacity workspace can be shared with users who have a free Power BI licence. 
Note that Premium Per User licence (PPU) does not allow sharing with free licences.

Finally, if the content is not proprietary you could use "Publish to Web" with a Pro licence. This places the content on a public facing web host, so your users (and anyone else) without a licence can view it. Note that "Publish to Web" needs to be enabled by your Power BI administrator.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-licensing-organization

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors