Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Clarification Needed: Power BI Gateway License Change or Just for Flow and other PowreApps

We use the Gateway to keep our Power BI data refreshed. Naturally the Gateway works for several things beyond Power BI, however at this point we don't use it for those items. Just for refrshing our Power BI data sources.

We recently received notice regaring PowerApps and Flow that if you use on-premise data gateway that you would have to have a PowerApps or Flow Plan license. Some in my organization were concerned that as PowerBI is part of the "PowerApps family"  that we would now need a new license to use the Gateway for Power BI.  It was even pointed out that Adam Saxton / Guy in a Cube has said Power BI was part of Power Apps.

I did not think we would need another license, however I could be wrong. Could someone provide additinal clarificatoin and/or documentatoin links?

thanks

Alan

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @asjones,

AFAIK, power bi gateway is free for power bi users, you only need to register a power bi account to sign up and link to your power service.

According to your description, I think you are confused about gateway usage. Current gateway is free to use, but some of service which use gateway to handle data refresh operations require license for their owner service.

Dataflow feature is merge from powerapps,  this is why it notice you may need powerapps and dataflow license.

Hope above helps.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I would just like to clarify that you only need a Power BI Pro license to use dataflows. You do not need a PowerApps license for dataflows.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

From my understanding is that currently Power BI does not require any licensing or costs to refresh data using Power BI.

It appears that for Microsoft Flow & Power Apps you might need a plan, but NOT for Power BI

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors