Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bstark1287
Helper II
Helper II

Circular Dependency

I am trying to create a calculated column within my 'tbl_Calendar'. The dax I am using is:

OE USD = CALCULATE(
SUMX('Raw Order Data',[Net Value])
)
- CALCULATE(
SUMX('Raw Order Data',[Net Value]),
USERELATIONSHIP('tbl_Calendar'[Date],'Raw Order Data'[Order Cancelled Date])
)

I have an active relationship from 'Raw Order Data'[Create Date] -> 'tbl_Calendar'[Date] 
I have an inactive relationship from 'Raw Order Data'[Order Cancelled Date] -> 'tbl_Calendar'[Date]

I am receiving an error: A circular dependency was detected: tbl_Calendar[OE USD], tbl_Calendar[Orders Entered], tbl_Calendar[OE USD].

None of the fields used in my dax are calculated columns or measures. I am not calling the fields mentioned in the error (but those are calculated columns but I am not sure why that would matter since they are not part of my new calculated column). Why is this returning an error? 

bstark1287_0-1675373726794.pngbstark1287_1-1675373780173.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bstark1287 

Why could you not create a measure for sales and a measure for cancelled orders.

Then you can subtract sales from cancelled.

When you put this into your visuals it will work it out automatically.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bstark1287 

Why could you not create a measure for sales and a measure for cancelled orders.

Then you can subtract sales from cancelled.

When you put this into your visuals it will work it out automatically.

Power BI Blog

You are a hero! The measures worked. For some reason I thought that measures wouldn't work. For reference of others the measures I used are posted below. 

bstark1287_0-1675393993023.png

bstark1287_1-1675394067127.png

Glad to hear I could help!

Power BI Blog

bstark1287
Helper II
Helper II

This takes care of the circular reference (picture 1) but does not total (picture 2). Basically what I am wanting it to do it sum the total net value of the calendar date that an order was created on (so if 4 orders for $1 were created on 1/1/22 then it would show $4 on 1/1/22) then subtract the total net value of cancelled orders on 1/1/22 (so if one order was cancelled on 1/1/22 for $2 it would subtract $2 from the $4). 

I have a similar calculated column that is working in [Orders Entered] (picture 3). 

bstark1287_0-1675378908215.png

bstark1287_1-1675378933416.png

bstark1287_2-1675379035942.png

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bstark1287 

It might work like this

CALCULATE(
SUMX('Raw Order Data',[Net Value]),
ALLEXCEPT(tbl_Calendar[OE USD]),
USERELATIONSHIP('tbl_Calendar'[Date],'Raw Order Data'[Order Cancelled Date])
)

Power BI Blog

We are getting close! I used [Orders Entered] for my allexcept field because [OE USD] wasn't an option and [Orders Entered] is referenced in the error message as a cause for the circular reference. The first part of the dax statement seems to be working so now I just need to determine where to put the ALLEXCEPT in the second part I think. 

bstark1287_0-1675378207365.png

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What happens if you put them into 2 seperate measures do you still get the error?

Power BI Blog

Yes same error. I did some reading and found this https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/ Based on the link I believe I need to add an ALLEXCEPT to my dax I am just not sure where. The article states 

bstark1287_0-1675376888409.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors