Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KelliKnitsAlot
Helper II
Helper II

Cherwell Data Connection refreshes fail in service

Hi there! We are testing the use of the Cherwell (Beta) connection in Power BI desktop.  Refreshes work in desktop. However, refreshes on the service work for one day and then fail the next. We setup a gateway data source using the Cherwell Data Connector v1.0. 

Has anyone else tried this successfully? If so, what was the fix?

Any guidance/assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
v_mark
Helper V
Helper V

@KelliKnitsAlot Glad to hear you were able to connect. Would you mind sharing how you able to resolve the issue please? So in case other community members encounter the same. They can refer to this post in the future.

v_mark
Helper V
Helper V

@KelliKnitsAlot - I do encounter the same. You can probably want to consider this 

Power BI Error | Forums (cherwell.com)

Thank you. 

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KelliKnitsAlot 

Step 1: Install and set up an on-premises gateway

Note: This step is only required if your CSM instance is hosted on-premises and the Cherwell REST API is not accessible from the public internet.

For the Power BI service to refresh data from the custom connector, you must install an on-premises data gateway on a machine reachable by the Power BI remote services. For information, see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/.

Step 2: Create and publish a Power BI report

Step 3: Configure the dataset in Power BI

Open the settings for the relevant dataset.

Ensure the gateway connection you previously set up is registered and running. For more information, see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/.
Check the data source credentials.

To ensure the data source is set up correctly, perform a manual refresh of the report (for more information, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data/).

Step 4: Configure the scheduled refresh settings

set and apply the appropriate scheduled refresh options. For more information, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh/.

When a scheduled refresh happens, a message is displayed in the dataset settings. You can view a history of in progress and completed scheduled refreshes.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. We have done all of the above. The refresh works once and then the next day, it fails and will not refresh again. Why would a scheduled refresh only work for one day?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Our Cherwell is hosted on the Cloud, so we did not need to set up a data gateway on PowerBI Service but are experiencing the same daily refresh failure. We have to "Edit Credentials" to log back in each day in order to initiate the refresh.  I don't know much about Cherwell configuration but could there be a setting somewhere that log users out after a period of time? 

This might be a Cherwell issue as it's causing re authentication in the Power BI side. The connector used in power bi can only do so much. Try to see if there is a connection timeout in Cherwell or any limited time hours/minutes restrictions from the api. I might need to reach out to Cherwell support if there's any

Hi @KelliKnitsAlot,

I'm facing the same refresh issue.... have you found a solution to this? Thank you!

Unfortunately, no. We found other ways to connect to the Cherwell data. Sorry I could not be of more help. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors