Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

Check which reports are using a dataflow

Is there a way to check which reports are using a dataflow? I planned on deleting a couple old dataflows, but wanted to verify that there aren't any reports currently using them. Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think you have two alternatives. The first one is going one by one to the workspaces and activate the linage view. That way you can check the flow of data from sources to reports.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-data-lineage

The second and more complex option would be building a script with the Power Bi Rest API that should first get all the datasets in the tenant and then for each one of those check its sources.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

After getting sidetracked for *checks date* 1 year, 9 months, and 7 days... I finally got around to building this thing out. Ended up finding my own post as a top Google result and it looks like people were still having issues tieing the Dataset Id to the Dataflow Id via the REST API, but it looks like Microsoft Power BI updated some things so here is an updated solution:

They added a upstream datasources to the view lineage option, but if you insist on using the REST API, they've added a REST call to get all the Dataset and Dataflow Id links for a workspace.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/datasets-get-dataset-to-dataflows-links-in...

The solution uses the REST API to get the group Ids then iterates through that to get the dataset Ids then again to get the dataset and dataflow Id links then again for the dataflow info all within a dataflow that are brought into tracking reports.

Sorry to necro this post; hope it helps someone to try it rather than give up since I almost did after reading through the dated replies.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

After getting sidetracked for *checks date* 1 year, 9 months, and 7 days... I finally got around to building this thing out. Ended up finding my own post as a top Google result and it looks like people were still having issues tieing the Dataset Id to the Dataflow Id via the REST API, but it looks like Microsoft Power BI updated some things so here is an updated solution:

They added a upstream datasources to the view lineage option, but if you insist on using the REST API, they've added a REST call to get all the Dataset and Dataflow Id links for a workspace.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/datasets-get-dataset-to-dataflows-links-in...

The solution uses the REST API to get the group Ids then iterates through that to get the dataset Ids then again to get the dataset and dataflow Id links then again for the dataflow info all within a dataflow that are brought into tracking reports.

Sorry to necro this post; hope it helps someone to try it rather than give up since I almost did after reading through the dated replies.

hey there - how do you access the upstream datasources in the view lineage? I don't any option to do this. thanks!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think you have two alternatives. The first one is going one by one to the workspaces and activate the linage view. That way you can check the flow of data from sources to reports.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-data-lineage

The second and more complex option would be building a script with the Power Bi Rest API that should first get all the datasets in the tenant and then for each one of those check its sources.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi! Following your suggestion, I am developing a process to detect orphaned dataflows in my environment, using API REST in PowerAutomate.  

I have a Dataset conected to a couple of Dataflows plus a list on Sharepoint.

When I check the sources of this Dataset ID, with:

GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/datasets/{datasetId}/datasources

I receive a response that contains only two datasources 

NatachaPN_0-1621167146149.png

I have test with others examples, and are the same. The responses has datasourceId that I cannot find as ID of my dataflows. I wonder if I should run other API using the datasourceId in a loop.

Could you suggest me some improvement?

@NatachaPN I'm struggling with the same thing right now.  I'm finding the dataset ids without any problem using the datasources endpoint, but those appear to be unique to the dataset.  Did you ever find a way to use information to correlate the dataset to a particular dataflow?  

unfortunately, not yet

Thanks! Yeah, I was hoping there would be a lineage option where it shows upsteam instead of just downstream before going the Rest API route. There's also a third option which is to export the json, delete it, and wait for complaints or refresh errors to come in... that'll be our plan b, lol.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors