Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Clara
Advocate II
Advocate II

Check which cells have been modified since last refresh

Hello!

My company has multiple Excel files which are modified by different people every month. Each month there should be new data for the previous month's (let's say) sales, but none of the months and years before should have any changes. I say should, but of course every once in a while somebody randomly alters some old data and tells us nothing about it.

Is there any way I can use Power BI for checking if cells have been altered since my last (auto)refresh -- and if yes, mark these cells out for me?

My initial idea is duplicating my query and letting just one of them update while the other remains static (unless I manually refresh it), and comparing the two in a report. Is this possible? Is there a more efficient solution?

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Clara

Currently as far as I know there is no way to check if cells have been modified in Power Query.

I think your method currently would be the best way possible to ensure that you are getting the right data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks, @GilbertQ!

But by this:

My initial idea is duplicating my query and letting just one of them update while the other remains static (unless I manually refresh it), and comparing the two in a report.

What I mean is, does Service let me do that? Keeping one query static and another one dynamic in a same dataset, while refreshing automatically every day? Or would it only be possible to do manually on Desktop?

Hi there

Currently when you refresh a Power BI model, it will refresh all the tables that are marked with "Include in Report Refresh" as well as if a table is used as a reference or duplicate table, it too will also refresh.

Whilst you can leave one query static, if it is referencing each other they both will be refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors