Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ddownard
Frequent Visitor

Chart-type change in Desktop not reflected in online report

I have changed the chart type in Desktop and saved, however, the Online report still shows the original chart type.  I have refreshed manually and a scheduled refresh ran this morning.  The data has updated but the change in chart type has not.

I've since republished to correct this specific occurrence but looking for a better solution going forward.  Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @ddownard ,

The report in workspace(web) will not automatically change after you publish the report once and then make any changes in Desktop pbix file and just save it.

For the changes in desktop to be reflected in services, the pbix will have to be re-published.

You can schedule refreshes in services to automatically have the latest data. But for pbix changes such as visual changes, formatting, sizing, filtering changes, etc. , you will have to re-publish the report.

Alternative is making the changes in report from services itself.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ddownard ,

The Power BI Desktop is an off-line or desktop application which users can use it to get data, transform data, create data model, create reports, and then publish to cloud Power BI Service. And Power BI Service is Online or Cloud based service, which you can share reports or collaborate with other users. See more difference: Power BI Desktop vs Power BI Service.

That's to say the changes in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service will not sync with each other. For same operations like create measures or columns, transform data in Query Editor, create relationship, create visuals in report,,,etc, you may need to republish the .pbix file again from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service.

In addition, if you would like to change the chart type, just click option "Edit" to enter edit view in Power BI Service report page.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
midmurali
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

So say I create an app from a report that I published, and I edit my published report (change chart type, add a new template etc) on power bi service, will that reflect on the app?

Thanks,

M

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ddownard ,

The Power BI Desktop is an off-line or desktop application which users can use it to get data, transform data, create data model, create reports, and then publish to cloud Power BI Service. And Power BI Service is Online or Cloud based service, which you can share reports or collaborate with other users. See more difference: Power BI Desktop vs Power BI Service.

That's to say the changes in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service will not sync with each other. For same operations like create measures or columns, transform data in Query Editor, create relationship, create visuals in report,,,etc, you may need to republish the .pbix file again from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service.

In addition, if you would like to change the chart type, just click option "Edit" to enter edit view in Power BI Service report page.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @ddownard ,

The report in workspace(web) will not automatically change after you publish the report once and then make any changes in Desktop pbix file and just save it.

For the changes in desktop to be reflected in services, the pbix will have to be re-published.

You can schedule refreshes in services to automatically have the latest data. But for pbix changes such as visual changes, formatting, sizing, filtering changes, etc. , you will have to re-publish the report.

Alternative is making the changes in report from services itself.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors