Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjose
Frequent Visitor

Changing partitions in incremental refresh

Hi all,

I have a dataset incrementally refreshing on cloud on a quarterly basis. Currently, the set up is 2022Q1, 2022Q2, 2022Q3 loaded and 2022Q4 is refreshing on a daily basis. I would like to make the partitions to a monthyl level - 2022Q101,2022Q102,....,2022Q410 loaded and 2022Q411 refreshing on a daily basis. Is it possible to change the partitions without having to reload the data? Anytime, I chnage the increment refresh policy the data disappears (this is solved when I reload the partitions).Any help on this is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @rjose 

As far as I know, when you change the incremental refresh policy, you need to re-refresh the full amount before you can update to the new partition.

Because different query folding statements are generated according to different incremental refresh strategies, you need to refresh again to get the latest data.

For more information, you can refer to :
Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @rjose 

As far as I know, when you change the incremental refresh policy, you need to re-refresh the full amount before you can update to the new partition.

Because different query folding statements are generated according to different incremental refresh strategies, you need to refresh again to get the latest data.

For more information, you can refer to :
Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors