Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Changing a Data Source's Database Server Location

My company is in the process of changing the server location of an on-premises SQL Server database. The new database will have the exact same tables and data structures as the old one. However, I currently have dataflows that are importing data from the old one and I want it to point to the new one without having to redo all my dataflows.

When I go to the Data Source settings it doesn't appear I can change it to the new Server as it is not enabled. Only the data source name appears to be able to be changed.

arockwell_1-1678484110792.png

Is there a way to change the Server location on an existing Data Source? If not, what is the best way to do this?

3 REPLIES 3
arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

I ended up creating new dataflows pointing to the new server and updating the datasets and associated reports to point to them. I did this by @AntrikshSharma  suggestion of downloading the old dataflow JSON files so I didn't have to recreate everything from scratch. But, it would be nice if MS offered an option to repoint existing data sources to another database server when required.

AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

@arock-well I guess the only option is to export the JSON file, edit the data source name and then re-import the JSON file in service.

@AntrikshSharma Just so I understand, which JSON file are you referring to? I know how to download a Dataflow JSON, but is there some why to do this for a gateway Data Source?

It's looking like I'll have to create a new Data Source connection and reconnect all my Data Flows to that, which will be painful.  I'm surprised there isn't a way in the interface to do this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors