Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tpeppard
Regular Visitor

Changing Database for a Dataset on a Published Report

Is it possible to change the Database that a Dataset is using for a Published Report?

If we develop a report, we may develop this against a database called ‘CLIENT1_DEV’. This server will be on our development server, say DEVSERVER1

If we want to release this to a client’s environment, the client would then modify the datasource in the dataset to point to their database. You can easily perform this task in SSRS.

Has anyone else figured out a way to perform this? Manually altering datasource settings in Desktop after a release of a new report is not manageable….

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tpeppard

Do you connect to SQL server or SSAS or other datasoucers? which connection mode is it?

Based on my understanding, a database called ‘CLIENT1_DEV’ is under the server called 'DEVSERVER1'.

After you publish the report (which uses data from database called ‘CLIENT1_DEV’)  from power bi desktop to service, you want to change the database used in the report from ‘CLIENT1_DEV’ to another database).

Is my understanding right?

If so, please read this article to have a try. One thing to take note of, is that this currently only works on Imported data sources and not DirectQuery or LiveConnection.

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev, ...

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tpeppard

Do you connect to SQL server or SSAS or other datasoucers? which connection mode is it?

Based on my understanding, a database called ‘CLIENT1_DEV’ is under the server called 'DEVSERVER1'.

After you publish the report (which uses data from database called ‘CLIENT1_DEV’)  from power bi desktop to service, you want to change the database used in the report from ‘CLIENT1_DEV’ to another database).

Is my understanding right?

If so, please read this article to have a try. One thing to take note of, is that this currently only works on Imported data sources and not DirectQuery or LiveConnection.

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev, ...

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks Maggie, this sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Tom

Carolina scored three runs in the bottom [url=https://url4.org/w2axp]grademiners[/url] of the second inning to take a 3-1 lead. Dustin Houle hit an RBI single to tie the game, and Devin Hairston connected with an RBI double to give the Mudcats the lead. Ryan Aguilar scored on a wild pitch later in the inning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors