Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dziubek
Frequent Visitor

Changing Custom SQL in Editor and Using Power BI Service to Refresh the Report

Hello Everyone - 

Quick question as I could not find the answer to this. I have a pretty large report that feeds through Teradata tables that run through our corporate gateway. 

I have made a change to the custom SQL Query hit close and apply from the editor but cancelled the refresh as it takes awhile to refresh in desktop. I Published the report to our Premium workspace thinking the schedualed refresh would take the new change and refresh it in services but it looks like it refreshed the report based on the Custom SQL. 

Does the report have to refresh in desktop before publishing to POWER BI services to take the new change and auto refresh it accordingly ?

Any clarity to this would be creatly appreciated. It would save my time a lot of time if we could make the changes and just publish and have services take the new chages in whiel refreshing instead of waiting for it to refresh in desktop saving it and then Publishing.

- Raf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dziubek ,

Please configure schedule refresh or schedule cache refresh, this article will be helpful.

If you change the data of the underlying data source, Power BI Service will automatically refresh the data based on configuring.

But if you change the visual in Power BI Desktop, the Power BI Service will not refresh the visual, you need to republish the pbix to service to refresh it.

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Raf, When you make some changes in Power Query and do not apply those, Model wouldn't recognize those changes you made. And yes, you have to apply the changes and re-publish.

Since it takes a lot of time to refresh on your PBI desktop. One option is to create a parameter with Date, refresh only 1 month or 1 day's of data in PBI Desktop.

Once you publish the dataset to Service, you can change the parameter.

Thanks,

Nishanth.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dziubek ,

Please configure schedule refresh or schedule cache refresh, this article will be helpful.

If you change the data of the underlying data source, Power BI Service will automatically refresh the data based on configuring.

But if you change the visual in Power BI Desktop, the Power BI Service will not refresh the visual, you need to republish the pbix to service to refresh it.

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors