Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wvuthha
Frequent Visitor

Changes in files from Sharepoint - Automatic refresh of the report?

Hi Community,

I have a report using an Excel file in a Sharepoint folder.

I have read, that for files from OneDrive od Sharepoint I don't have to set a planned acutalisation in the PBI Service. The report will be updated automatically after approx. one hour -> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-csv-file-onedrive

This is, what it says: 

If your files are in a shared folder on OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, other users can work on the same file. Once saved, any changes made are automatically updated in Power BI, usually within an hour.

I have updated the Excel file on Friday (so more than one hour ago 😉), but the report still shows the old version of data. Is this only possible for csv files and not for Excel files?

Best regards

Thomas

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wvuthha ,

Due to the data source in the report is your local file, not the file in the SharePoint online, though you set the schedule refresh for the dataset, it retrieves data from local Excel instead of SharePoint Excel file.  If you want to set the schedule refresh to retrieve data from SharePoint Excel, I suggest you to refer to below steps:

1.Upload your excel file to the SharePoint online

2.Create a report in Power BI desktop by getting this file in SharePoint online. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

3.Publish the report to the service and you can set the schedule refresh. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-csv-file-onedrive#what-are-the-advantages

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft ,

Thank you for your answer. My file is indeed on Sharepoint Online, not locally on my laptop. Your link in point 2 is about OneDrive Business. This is not useable for me, because the Sharepoint is yet existing, and also the file there must be stored there and not on my OneDrive.

I don't want to set a scheduled refresh, because that's not working in a combined model.

I want to get the refresh automatically triggered by a change of the file on Sharepoint.

Best regards

Thomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors