Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changed Data Source Tabular Model

Hi, 

Recently, I had to change the connection settings of an existing tabular model. I changed the settings by editing the code of the model.bim file to the new location along with the new authentication method. The tables processed fine, the model was deployed however as soon as I connect the existing report to the new data source and wish to filter out the visuals, everything becomes one massive error. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2019-03-13T16:58:13.7742139Z

Local Time:
2019-03-13T16:58:13.7742139+00:00

Session ID:
session id goes here

Release:
February 2019

Product Version:
2.66.5376.2521 (19.02) (x64)

Error Message:
An unexpected exception occurred.

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
37.9 GB

Private Memory:
289 MB

Peak Working Set:
452 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
The User ID string goes here

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
Location of the Trace Logs

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
MIntellisense
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_PdfImport
PBI_ColumnProfiling
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_PythonSupportEnabled
PBI_showIncrementalRefreshPolicy
PBI_showManageAggregations
PBI_FuzzyMatching
PBI_EnableWebDiagramView
PBI_improvedFilterExperience

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_keyDrivers

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

I'm not sure if I need to edit out the code for the relationships or if it is something else I need to do. I've tested this out by creating a blank Power BI file and adding a few tables to see if filtering works and it doesn't. Can anyone please advise?

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We not recommend you to change pbix internal files. It may cause the errors and hard to trace and troubleshoot them.

Actually, power bi allow you to change connected datasource on 'options and settings' -> 'datasource settings' -> 'change datasource'.

BTW, if your datasoruce has same data structure, you can try to create a template with parametrized connection strings.

After these steps, you can modify query parameters to generate different report based template file.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Pass Parameters to SQL Queries

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft, I have tested this out on a blank Power BI file and I've had the same problem. In my mind, if the tabular model refreshes and picks up the data, it should be good to go? If I pick up measure from table X and wish to filter it by Table A, I get an error message. If I make a table with the filter from table A and measure from table X, it works. My question is what do I need to do to fix this?

HI @Anonymous ,

You can't direct use measure to filter tables, you need to create visuals and drag measure to visual level filter to enable filter effect.(please confirm your measure can calculate with other table row contents)

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors