Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change region Power Bi Premium capacity

Hi! 

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-multi-geo

you should be able to change the region of a premium capacity if you move assigned workspaces to shared capacity (clear the premium capacity of workspaces). I have to do this of hours so therefore i sitt here on a sunday morning:)

• Create a second capacity and move workspaces. Free users won't experience any downtime as long as the tenant has spare v-cores.
  • If creating a second capacity isn't an option, you can temporarily move the content back to shared capacity from Premium. You don't need extra v-cores, but free users will experience some downtime.

I have tried this but the option to change is not visible? Do i have to delete and recreate the premium capacity and if i do so, can there be any hickups? i have purchased 8 cores P1 so if i delete, i could just create a new one and there will be 8 cores avalibable, right?

Thanks for help! 

/R

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry i dont know if you read my post, i dont want to change the region of my tenant, but the region in where my premium capacity resides. 

look at my text again, according to the link to the Multi-geo document i provided,

under

Change the region for existing content
you should be able to change the region of a premium capacity. 

And this is what i would like to do, but according to my tests when i followed the instructions it doesnt work. Therefore i wonder if i have to delete and recreate my capacity to be able to change region?

Best regards

/R

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-stephen-msft 

No, i already have a premium capacity and assigned workspaces to it. According to the linked microsoft documentation you should be able to change region for a premium capacity from North to West europe for example. But my test doesnt seem to work since i tried to unassign all workspaces that resided on my premium to a shared capacity and then checked settings. Region change was not availiable 

So therefore i wonder if have to delete and recreate my capacity. Will/can there be any hickups if i have to delete and recreate the premiu capacity for my organisation? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-where-is-my-tenant-located, it is not possible to change the Region selection after a tenant is created. 

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to move the workspace to shared capacity or to dedicated capacity? For this information, please kindly refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-manage

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors