Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rmocca
Helper I
Helper I

Change gateway datasource

Hi,

I've working with Power BI Desktop, and after finished my reports I've published them to app.powerbi.com

I've tried installing a gateway (personal use) in my pc in order to keep data updated, and every is working as expected.

Noe I need to move this to a server with real data, so I've installed the same gateway in the server, but I can't modify the data source in order to point to the new database.

Is any way to do that?

Thanks on advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @rmocca 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,I think you can directly add datasource in the new gateway settings, and enter the path and file you reset and related credentials,then change the selection of datasource(map to new one) and apply the setting in the dataset.

Like this:

5.png6.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @rmocca ,

To clarify, you have installed the new gateway on a server (or some other computer that doesn't go normally go offline), right?  If so, then the new gateway will have some separate settings since it is on the new location (compared to your PC).  After that, the ability to modify and edit the gateway is based on permissions given to you by the tenant administrator.  You need to have permission to edit the gateway in the service.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

The report I've created have as a data source: Server=SERVER1 Database=Database1

This data is from my local computer.

I'm trying to get my report refreshing from a different server: Server=SERVER2 Database=Database2, with the same structure. But I don't have access to SERVER2 from my local computer, so I can't change the data source from power bi desktop.

I've published the report and tried to change the data source configuration from app.power.bi, but server and database are gray, so I can't change it.

I hope I've explained better this time.

Hi, @rmocca 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,I think you can directly add datasource in the new gateway settings, and enter the path and file you reset and related credentials,then change the selection of datasource(map to new one) and apply the setting in the dataset.

Like this:

5.png6.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors