Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

serargi
Frequent Visitor

Change filter using URL

Hello!

I have a shared dashboard and report in powerbi.com. It's shared to more than 30 people

The report has some filters (slicers) like "date", "companyName", "owner"... and nobody wants to see info from others, they want to see always his rows without click in all the filters. There is any chance to use the original URL + some parameters, or using API rest or somethign like that to customize the filters?

12 REPLIES 12
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @serargi,

Since we can filter a report with a URL query string parameter, but you should append different parameter values for differnt recipients to the URL, also, only a string compare is available using this syntax ?filter=<Table>/<Field> eq 'value'.

I think what you need is RLS. Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI Desktop can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level. Once you have configured RLS in a report, the visual inside this report will keep the RLS settings after being pinned to dashboard and sharing dashboard to others.

Reference: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

thanks for your support! Roles are fine but I think URL parameter fits better for the solution we need.

I tried using

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/ReportSection3?filter=Users/Owner eq 'sergio@XXX.com'

but it didn't work. Owner is a colum in Users Table, and Owner is string.

Hi @serargi,

Based on my test, above syntax is correct. In your scenario, please check whether you have configured proper relationship between Users Table and other tables which are referenced in visualizations.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello v-yulgu-msft,

I checked as u told me, and it has correct relationship, but it still not working 😕

Hi @serargi,

Have you tried to republish the pbix file? If you filter data based on another table/column, does it work? Please note that table and field names are case sensitive.

Could you illustrate how you created the report with some sample data so that I can try to rerpoduce your scenario?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Yes, I replublished the report but it didnt work. I also try to use "ID/ReportSection3?filter=Tickets/Status eq 'done'" but it still not working

I use a grid to show all the tickets. Then two slicers, one for owner and other one for status.

- Status could be open, waiting or done.

- Owner is an email address.

Hi @serargi,

Unfortunatelly, I was not able to reproduce your problem. If possible, and if you connected to data source with import mode, you could send me the .pbix file so that I can test in my environment.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hello,

I can delete some records and create dummie data to test. I will need your email to share the dashboad & report with you, because embeded doesn't work with URL parameter filters...

Hi @serargi,

I have sent you a private message. You can share the pbix file through private message or e-mail.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

I sent a private msg with a test dashboard

thanks! 🙂

Hi @serargi,

I could not open your dashboard. I need the.pbix file so that I can publish to my Power BI service, and create a new dashboard and test whether the URL parameter works.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

I have a similar/related question.  I would like to pass a filter through a URL and have tested this method, my issue is the use of "eq" is causing an issue with the report.  The issue is "eq" translates to 'is' however, which does not bring back the expected result.  ONly when I use 'contains' does the filter work.  Is there a way to use this method with contains instead of equals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors