Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

therealomacoder
Helper II
Helper II

Change date format in a visualization

I've got a model with about 14 different dates.

The model is published to Power BI service.

Users are now interacting with the model and adding visualizations but some want to create charts and tables using these dates, but they all want dates in a different format.

Some just want to see the month number.

Some just want to see the day.

Some just want to see the year.

Some want to see the YYYY-MM.

Some want to see the quarter.

How do we accomplish this in Power BI service when creating reports?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @therealomacoder 

You may new a hierarchy in desktop.Add the Year,Month...columns to the hierarchy.Then click the icon to go to different levels.

1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

therealomacoder
Helper II
Helper II

So what I gather is that this is not possible to do in PowerBI Service.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
therealomacoder
Helper II
Helper II

So what I gather is that this is not possible to do in PowerBI Service.

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @therealomacoder 

You may new a hierarchy in desktop.Add the Year,Month...columns to the hierarchy.Then click the icon to go to different levels.

1.png

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So for every possible date format that the report builder may want in a report or a dashboard in PowerBI service has to first be manually created in PowerBI Desktop??

Hi @therealomacoder 

You may also use date format.If it doesn't have the format you request,you may format it manually.

1.png

Regards,

@v-cherch-msft 

The method you show here uses the same formatting for every visualization, correct?

Is there a way to use a different format for each visualization?  For example, I like the longer formats for a card (Monday, June 30, 2014), but a shorter format (6/30/2014) for a table or matrix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors