Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Krunalbpatel
Helper III
Helper III

Change Published report data's Dynamically

Hi,

I have Prepare a report In Power BI Desktop using my Local Database(Local Server) and Published that report to Power BI Account. Its working fine for me. Now I want to use this same report for my QA Server Database.

How can I use this single report for both the database(for different server)? Is there a way where I can change the dataset dynamically.

I do not want to goto edit query and change the connection sting and republish on the Power BI Account. This Option is the last option for me to do that. But I want that 1 single report is worked for both the server. 

Is this can possible to change connection parqameter dynamically?

FYI - I want to display this report in my MVC Application.

Thanks

Krunal Patel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Krunalbpatel,

If you are satisfied with the answer, would you please mark the helpful reply as an answer, so that we can close this thread? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krunalbpatel,

Based on my research, on Power BI Service, one dataset can be used by one report or more than one reports. Once the relation between report and dataset is established on the service, we are not able to replace dataset for the report currently, except republish reports from the Power BI Desktop, or deign a new report from the other dataset on service.

So in your scenario, I'm afraid you need to change connection string then republish report to service. Also there is same idea which you can vote and comment on: Accessing multiple datasets in single report.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I think got my answer.

Thanks and Regards,

Krunal Patel

Hi @Krunalbpatel,

If you are satisfied with the answer, would you please mark the helpful reply as an answer, so that we can close this thread? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Krunalbpatel You can explore the possibility of using power bi rest apis using which you maybe able to to change dataset connection strings.

Other option i can think of is if your data source is sql server then write sql query to import data from both the database. For example

Select *, 'Prd' as [database] from table1

union 

Select *, 'QA' as [database] from table2

Then use slicer to differentiate on data between two databases. When published to power bi service this will work.

@ankitpatira No I think the option provide by you Is not my solution, can you please provide basic ideas related rest APIs or Any reference link to me?

Hi Krunal,

This is something I would call dynamic data source. This blog post from Matt Allington would guide you to create solution based on parameter tables. 

Please refer to this blog post:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/10/share-and-refresh-power-query-with-local-links/

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors