Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

baatch
Helper I
Helper I

Change Data Source for (many) reporst created from WEB

Hi I have a scenario where we have uploaded a PowerBI desktop report to a App Workspace. Then from the Power BI web service we have created 10+ reports of the single data source that was uploaded. This App Workspace is now used in production.

Now we made some changes to in the datasource. We know that we can just reupload the Power BI desktop report with the updated changes and overwrite the dataset in the Power BI Service, but that would risk breaking the 10+ reports that are using the current dataset. 

So the question is:

Is there any easy way to test this updated dataset withot needing to recreate the 10+ reports in a new test workspace?

Is there some way to change a web reports datasource to another dataset?

The only solution I have found is to Published the updated Power BI Desktop report with a new name (so it creates a new dataset) and the recreate a report from scrath on the web with the new dataset. But recreating 10+ reports without being able to copy paste just for testing is a real pain.

I'm out of ideas, hoping some gurus here can help me out.

/Baatch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
baatch
Helper I
Helper I

Just wanted to inform others that have the same scenario or problem that I found a solution by using Powershell and API.

See this blog post for more information https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/duplicate-workspaces-using-the-power-bi-rest-apis-a-step-by...

And also I have noticed that it is now possible to copy paste in the web interface between different reports. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
baatch
Helper I
Helper I

Just wanted to inform others that have the same scenario or problem that I found a solution by using Powershell and API.

See this blog post for more information https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/duplicate-workspaces-using-the-power-bi-rest-apis-a-step-by...

And also I have noticed that it is now possible to copy paste in the web interface between different reports. 

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @baatch,

>>Is there any easy way to test this updated dataset withot needing to recreate the 10+ reports in a new test workspace?

If you don't change the structure of dateset, you just update the data to latest one. You can configure scheduled refresh, when the data refresh and the report will refresh, you don't need to recreate the report. 

>>Is there some way to change a web reports datasource to another dataset?

There is no way to change the dataset directly to date.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors