Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tmrrow
Frequent Visitor

Change Data Region

Hi, 

Is there any way to migrate to a closer data region?

I understand that back when we first signed up for PowerBI there was no region selection and we are now hosted in Ireland. 

Australia or Southeast Asia would be a better.

Is there a follow up to this anwer?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently made a request to migrate to a closer region. It takes some administration. But microsoft did an excelent job. 

Steps to procede: 

Become the administator of the power-BI tennant.

Get backup of an azure tennant administrator. 

Request a support ticket using get help (top right of the powerbi menu)

State clearly from region you wish to come and go. mention your tennant guid.

You will get a respond from the service dep. with a clearly document how to procede. You make a request with 3 options of downtime (during 6 hours) at least 8 days later than you plan send in the form. Let it sign by your azure tennant administrator (on paper nothing more fancy) scan it an mail it back. After a few days a confirm of stating one of the 3 options as chosen option is given. I did request some response.

They do request to make a copy of your work on the tennant. But I did not lose anything. Even datarefreshes using credentials are still working. 

There is some impact stating in the migration document 

Impact to customer is as follows:

• Migration requires ~6 hours down time during which time all migrating resources will be offline.
  • Capacities and Premium workspaces cannot be migrated. The customer must delete all capacities before the migration starts and, if they desire, will be responsible for re-creating them (and move the workspaces back) after the migration completes.
  • Depending on the configuration of current cluster and target cluster, Push Datasets might not be migrated for all customers. In the case that they cannot be migrated, customer needs to delete such datasets manually. Discussion following this request will determine if Push Dataset migration is supported.
  • All Enterprise Gateways need to be re-configured by the users after the migration.
  • Any Excel workbooks using the Analyze in Excel feature may fail to refresh. You may need to update the connection string or re-download the ODC connection for that dataset.
  • Links to Power BI that are embedded in content (e.g., embedded link in SharePoint or Teams) will be broken after migration. The customer will have to re-generate embedded links to replace the pre-migration embedded links.

The day after your migration you are again informed that the migration is succesful and they ask you to confirm if all is OK.

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1  Our data is in Singapore and wouldn't mind moving to Australia if a data centre exists.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the data region can be changed for existing Power BI tenant.  We have to create a new Power BI tenant and migrate all the existing Power BI workloads to the new tenant.

pls. check the responses on https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Verifying-migration-of-tenant/m-p/703278

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors