Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certifying Datasets, access question

Will certifying a dataset make it available to use for ALL users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @Anonymous ,

As mentioned in the document,before you are going to certify the dataset, the dataset owner needs to give you member permissions for the workspace where the dataset resides.

See below:

Being named someone who can certify datasets is clearly a big responsibility. When a dataset creator contacts you about certifying a dataset, that's the beginning of your vetting process. When you're satisfied that a dataset merits certification, here are your last steps.

1. The dataset owner needs to give you member permissions for the workspace where the dataset resides.
  2. If your tenant admin has named you as someone who can certify datasets, the Certified option in the Endorsement section of Settings for the dataset is available. Select Certified.
  3. Select Apply.
Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform...

Certified datasets make it easier for organizations to steer users toward trusted and authoritative datasets. This "stamp of approval" for a dataset can only be applied by a specific group of Power BI users as defined in a new tenant setting. Once a dataset is certified, it shows up prominently in the new dataset discovery experience, making sure report authors can effortlessly find and leverage these high-quality sources of data.

Hi @Anonymous,

Certifying a dataset does NOT make it available to everyone in the organization. It's only a way to make it more discoverable in Power BI Desktop. When you connect to Power BI Datasets from PBI Desktop, the Certified and Promoted datasets will show at the top, followed by the other datasets.

nickyvv_0-1594248739575.png

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @nickyvv !  

I was able to verify the Promoted datasets but still awating on the tenant setting change for certifying datasets. 

I found that the Promoted datasets will only show up for users that are "members" of the workspace where the dataset sits. "viewers" will not be able to see the promoted datasets in their Power BI desktop. 

What is the major difference in Certified and Promoted?

From what I've read so far, the only the difference is any dataset owner can promote their own dataset, whereas certifying datasets can/should only be done by your top Power BI gurus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Check the reference below:

Your Power BI report creators may now have access to many different datasets, so enterprises need to guide them to the reliable, high-quality datasets. Power BI provides two ways to endorse datasets:

• Promotion: As a dataset owner, you can promote your own datasets when they're ready for wide-spread usage. Any workspace member with Write permissions can promote a dataset. There are no restrictions on who can promote a dataset. Promotion supports the collaborative spread of datasets within organizations. This article is about promoting your dataset.
  • Certification: You can request certification for a promoted dataset. A select group of users defined in the Dataset Certification tenant admin setting decides which datasets to certify. See Certify datasets for details.

Here is the link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-promote

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, i've read that article. 

@Anonymous  - What is the difference between Certified and Promoted?

Hi  @Anonymous,

Promoted datasets are really for places that have a culture of grass roots data analysis or self-service BI. Doesn't work in all environments.

My understanding and recommendation for a Certified dataset is the following:

• It will be reused in multiple areas across the business
  • The dataset will go through a best practice guideline review (To ensure that it is modelled as expected, which leads to great performance)
  • Documentation will already have been completed prior to requesting certification of the dataset
  • And no doubt this will evolve over time with better requirements.

Here is a blog about certified dataset you can refer to:

https://www.fourmoo.com/2019/06/25/how-to-setup-and-get-a-certified-dataset-in-powerbi/

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous thanks Kelly, I've seen @GilbertQ's  blog post on this as well. 

Will certifying  a dataset make it avaialable to users that are not members the workspace? 

Hi  @Anonymous ,

As mentioned in the document,before you are going to certify the dataset, the dataset owner needs to give you member permissions for the workspace where the dataset resides.

See below:

Being named someone who can certify datasets is clearly a big responsibility. When a dataset creator contacts you about certifying a dataset, that's the beginning of your vetting process. When you're satisfied that a dataset merits certification, here are your last steps.

1. The dataset owner needs to give you member permissions for the workspace where the dataset resides.
  2. If your tenant admin has named you as someone who can certify datasets, the Certified option in the Endorsement section of Settings for the dataset is available. Select Certified.
  3. Select Apply.
Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors