Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GJDealogic
Frequent Visitor

Capacity and Pricing

Hi

The small team I am in run the CRM system for the company. Its an MVC web app on an intranet. While we are a small team (2 devs and a BA/Tester) the application is quite large and holds a lot of data. We are looking to upgradge our reporting by embedding PowerBI into some of the pages inthe app.

The tech part we have followed and got somewhere but there still seems to be some confusion surrounding pricing. The company has 400 Pro licences but it seems we need some capacity to back the embedded part of things. So we have got on the A1 sku. This says up to 300 refeshes per hour.

Questions...

1) What is the difference between NOT having capacity and HAVING some for embedding in a company intranet, wil it still work?

2) Now that we have the A1 sku what is the implication if we go over 300 refeshes per hour. Right now we have no idea just how many reports we will produce and how ofte they will be refreshed. (Over 300 does it stop working or ddoes performance drop)

Anything you can tell me about these issues would be good.

Regards

Gary

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Gary,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Gary,

1. There are two scenarios of Embedding. One considers the capacity as a must while the other considers it as a plus. I think the developer/embed-sample-for-your-organization suits your scenario better. 

2. The Power BI Embedded capacity is flexible. You can scale up or scale down easily. You even can pause it. Please refer to power-bi/developer/azure-pbie-pause-start.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI!

So for which type of embedding is it considered a must and which type a plus?

Rgds

gary

Hi Gary,

The Embedded for customers requires a capacity when moving to Production. Please refer to embed-sample-for-customers#move-to-production. In this scenario, there is only one Pro Power BI account as a master account.

The end users will log in with their own Power BI account in the other scenario that is Embedded for your organization.

Best Regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

For Power BI Embedding to work you need to provision capacity as you have done. My understanding is that the A1 SKU is sized for about 300 refreshes per hour maximum and you may experience performance degradation above that number and want to scale to a larger SKU.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors