Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Baha
Regular Visitor

Cant filter using hiearchy levels

Hello Guys, I have an issue with one of my reports when selecting a hierarchy to add to a matrix. When doing so, the matrix doesn't display any values when using a slicer to filter members of a particular hierarchy. Therefore, i can only display all attributes in that hierarchy in the row element of a table or none at all. I also tried to apply a visual level filter to see if that would work but i still cannot select individual levels to view data for.

Could the error be from the way the hierarchy has been structured in the data source (cube) or PowerBI cannot handle particular hierarchies?

Your help in this matter is much appreciated.

Regards,

Baha

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Baha,

Based on my test, when I connect to SSAS cube in live connection, then drag Calendar hierarchy to matrix Rows property and one measure 'Internet Sales Amount' to Value property. The matrix displays like below:

q2.PNG

If I check value ( 'CY 2011' ) in Visual level filter for Calendar Year, matrix can display corresponding records. See:

q4.PNG

Please note we can only filter records rather than hierarchy levels. It means if the Calendar hierarchy contains many columns (eg: contains 5 levels), when we place Calendar hierarchy in a matrix, there are 5 levels always though we filter values use slicer or visual level filter.  So what you get is expected.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you very much for the response, all make sense. However, as shown in the screenshot i have attached, i cannot for example filter the matrix to display figures for a particular company in a hierarchy: ("units" hierarchy in the organization dimension)

Regards,

BIBlog1.pngBIBlog2.png

Baha

Hi @Baha,

In your scenario, it seems there are no data based on current conditions. Please check if you have added any Visual level filter, Page level filter or Report level filter conditions to exclude the data for "01-Company 01".

a1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft, thanks for the response again but it is weird that when i have used a custom visual (hierarchical slicer) from he gallery it seems to have corrected the behavior of my report. I am 100% sure there is data as when i do not select any slicer settings i get records for all companies. Whats the explanation for this case?

Many thanks,

Baha

Hi @Baha,

Please check the "02-Company 02" or "All companies" in the slicer issue to see if the charts display as blank or not. I guess there might be no records related to the "01-Company 01" in those charts.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors