Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cant Share Report Outside My Organization

Hi,

Is the solution to this post still accurate? 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Can-t-Share-outside-my-organization/m-p/398509#M43375

When I share an App with an external user, their Power BI space looks isolated, as they are not able to access their own workspace or own content from the browser tab they are using to see my App.

Also, I've tried sharing the .pbix file uploaded to a workspace of mine to external Pro users (thats what is says to them in the storage mangement setting), and when they open the email link, they are also redirected to this "isolated" PBI space, and a free Pro Trail message pops up as if they didn't have a Pro licence already.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

No matter if you share report, dashboard or app to external users, they cannot be viewed directly from share with me and Apps. They need to be accessed via email link, and if repeated access is required, you need to save the email or mark the link as a bookmark.

>>Why are they asked to activate a Pro licence trial when viewing an APP in my tenant when they already have a Pro Licence at their tenant?

It is by design. Based on my test, when external user without Pro license access the shared content, if you activate a Pro license trial, you will see Expire date on the right top:

Capture.PNG

when external user with Pro license access the shared content, after you activate Pro license trail, you will not see it.

Capture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Anonymous ,

It is true that you have to have external sharing turned on in your tenant.

If that is turned on, then the person that you have shared the file with needs to open the link that they are sent in the email.  When they use that link, they will be asked to sign in with THEIR userid and password which then redirects them to YOUR organization's report location (based on the link).  They might get some security message about accepting your organization's settings.  Once the accept that, then they are able to see on YOUR tenant what you shared with them.

They must bookmark this link to see it again later (or save that email link).  

The userid and link that have been sent are compared so the user you share with can't share the link again to another userid.

They do have to have a Power BI license - they can use their own.  They do not need yours or an id on your system.  (Not including Premium capacity licenses).  

If the user that you share with does NOT have a valid Pro license, then they get the "sign up" link/message/screen.

The "shared with me" that appears in the Service is based on the user's Organization only.  It is only designed for items shared with them within their own tenant.  They have to use the link to get to externally shared items.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @collinq ,

Thank you for your prompt replay!

External sharing is enabled.
Based on your response, I understand that when they view my report is them being in MY tenant, which is why they are only able to see the specific shared content.

Why are they asked to activate a Pro licence trial when viewing an APP in my tenant when they already have a Pro Licence at their tenant? I still can't share a report if I don't first share an APP and make them activate a Pro Licence free trail.

Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong, should I enable "Allow external users to edit and manage content in the organization", guests I pick will be able to view and edit selected workspaces as well as create in my tenant. Right?

Thanks,

Hi @Anonymous ,

To clarify, if they have a license, when they hit the link they will be asked to sign in.  They need to sign in with the userid that has the license.  By rule then, you have to share to them with the userid that has the license.  If you share to "collin@123.com" but their license is at "collin@abc.com" then they will get notified they don't have a license.  The link is userid specific so you have to share to "collin@abc.com" and then all will be fine.

As for external sharing - you have to turn on "Share Content with External Users".  If you want the external users to actually edit and manage content in YOUR organization then you turn on "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization".  This is less common.  This is giving the external user a level of control that you may not want to give to them.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @Anonymous ,

No matter if you share report, dashboard or app to external users, they cannot be viewed directly from share with me and Apps. They need to be accessed via email link, and if repeated access is required, you need to save the email or mark the link as a bookmark.

>>Why are they asked to activate a Pro licence trial when viewing an APP in my tenant when they already have a Pro Licence at their tenant?

It is by design. Based on my test, when external user without Pro license access the shared content, if you activate a Pro license trial, you will see Expire date on the right top:

Capture.PNG

when external user with Pro license access the shared content, after you activate Pro license trail, you will not see it.

Capture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-deddai1-msft ,

Exactly! That is what happens to my client with Pro Licence, they accept the free trial but no expire date is shown. Do you know if my client will have access issues later on? 

As a bonus question, do you know why this free trial pops up only when sharing an App? The message won't show if I share a report, as the report will simply not load. Only after sharing an app an accepting the free trail im able to share any report with them.

Btw, thank you @collinq ,  external sharing is enabled. 

Thanks,

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>Do you know if my client will have access issues later on? 

No, they won't. And after you accept the free trial, you will not see the free trial pops up when you share other reports.

>>As a bonus question, do you know why this free trial pops up only when sharing an App? The message won't show if I share a report, as the report will simply not load.

Based on my test,Even if you share the report, you will see the trial pop-up. Please confirm whether your browser has a pop-up blocking setting, please try to close it, or use another browser to try again.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors