Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot view paginated report using apps own data project

We are unable to view paginated report in APP own data application. We are seeing the below error message

pbi.error:
code: "PowerBINotAuthorizedException"

We are using Power BI Embedded A5 SKU and created a workspace, uploaded a sample report

Using service principal to generate embed token as well. Still unable to view the report. Please suggest what could be the issue

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Stephen. I was able to figure out the issue. 

The powerbi.bootstrap method isn't supported when embedding paginated reports.  Commenting the bootstrap code solved the issue. I believe the app own data sample code needs a comment in place for the same. 

Thanks,

Naresh

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Stephen. I was able to figure out the issue. 

The powerbi.bootstrap method isn't supported when embedding paginated reports.  Commenting the bootstrap code solved the issue. I believe the app own data sample code needs a comment in place for the same. 

Thanks,

Naresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the response.

I have done the following steps.

1. Create app registration, configured Power BI Service API permissions and generated a new client secret

2. Create a new group in AAD and added the service principal to the group

3. In Power BI service added the new group to "Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs" setting

4. Create Power BI Embedded Capacity (SKU: A5, Gen 2)

5. Created workspace and assigned premium Capacity and app registration service principal id as admin

6. Enabled Gateway to connect to on-prem SQL server and uploaded paginated reports.

7. Used the App Own Data application to view the paginated report

Can you please let me know if I need to check any other settings

Thanks,

Naresh

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to this troubleshooting article.

A fiddler capture may be required to investigate further. The required permission scope may be missing for the registered application within Azure AD. Verify the required scope is present within the app registration for Azure AD within the Azure portal.

Possibile reasons: 1.Wrong group ID 2.Unauthorized group

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors