Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot share/publish anymore to office 365 groups

Hello all

We have been using Powerbi from the past 9 months where we created four Office365** groups and creating and distributing apps to those O365groups with no problems.

The last week we tried to share a new app to an existing O365group* and suddenly it is not listed anymore in the pickup list. Even more, no one O365 group is listed!!!, only standard AD groups are listed in sharing/publish actions or personal emails.

Anybody has noticed that? Were there some changes in background from MS part or we misconfigured something?

*Of course O365 grups are still there in our AD

**Why we use o365groups instead of standard groups, because Gateway need email enabled groups ☹️, more here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Adding-AD-Security-groups-as-Gateway-Data-source-Users/m-p/...

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi  @Anonymous 

First, you should know that when you create a O365 group in Office 365, a classic app workspace will be created in power bi service too.

So these four workspaces are classic app workspace.

here is a similar post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Office-365-Groups-have-created-lots-of-App-Workspaces/td-p/935856

Second, for your case, you could Upgrade the workspace to the new experience, then you could publish an app to the other O365 groups, just have a update this app again.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

I have test on my side, it works well.

You should know that only New app workspace could be shared office 365 groups.

Please check that if this app is based on classic app workspace.

On Permissions, decide who has access to the app, and what they can do with it.

• In classic workspaces: everyone in your organization, specific people, or Azure Active Directory (AAD) security groups.
  • In the new experience workspaces: specific people, AAD security groups and distribution lists, and Office 365 Groups. All workspace users are automatically given access to the app for the workspace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps#publish-your-app

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-lili6-msft 

It is strange, because we have four O365 groups with its respective workspaces. (you know, when you create an O365 group a related workspace is automatically created).

Those workspaces were not altered.

Our work mechanism that we have been doing for a long time is:

1. Create a report in desktop
  2. Publish to a workspace (one of the mentioned four o365 groups).
  3. Publish app to an specific group (one of the mentioned four o365 groups).

In step three suddenly  we can’t choose those groups anymore (are not displayed in the list).

….But now, after your comment, I have done a test, I created a new workspace (new experience enabled) and from there yes I can publish an app to the other O365 groups.

So what do I have to infer? The old four O365 workspaces are no longer of the "new experience" type?

Regards

hi  @Anonymous 

First, you should know that when you create a O365 group in Office 365, a classic app workspace will be created in power bi service too.

So these four workspaces are classic app workspace.

here is a similar post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Office-365-Groups-have-created-lots-of-App-Workspaces/td-p/935856

Second, for your case, you could Upgrade the workspace to the new experience, then you could publish an app to the other O365 groups, just have a update this app again.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You @v-lili6-msft

So I don't understand how it worked in the past, but I followed the instructions to upgrade the workspaces and it worked!

Many thanks

Regards.

Instead of using O365 or standard groups, we use mail-enabled security groups in Azure. Is that an option for you?
Those can be used everywhere in the new workspaces and also in the admin portal and the gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you  @nickyvv 

As far I know, we can't use this kind of mail-enabled groups until we synchronize our local AD to cloud AD or hire the exchange on cloud service. 

None of those two scenarios are given by now in my environment.

Thanks for the idea.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors