Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot see the dashboard nor the dataset

Hi,

I was given access to see the workspace which was pblished to the PBI Service. However i could see only the report, there is nothing under the dashboard tab, also the DATASET and Dataworkflow tabs are missing, please advice.

4 REPLIES 4
PAPutzback2
Helper II
Helper II

Perhaps you were only given view access and the underlying data set is not being shared. 

Users with the Viewer role get a read-only experience in the workspace. They can view dashboards, reports, or workbooks in the workspace. They can’t browse the datasets or dataflow or edit content in the workspace. This matches the experience users get in a classic workspace when they are set to “Members can only view Power BI content”.

Are you sre a Dashboard was created?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Paputzback2.

Here is a quick question. User A has created a report using an excel sheet on a shared network drive (to which i do not have access), so when User A published the report to the PBI Service workspacce , do i need access to the shared folder as well to see the dataset?

Also do the users need access to the SSAS Cube to view the dataset?

Hi @Anonymous ,

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Paputzback2.

Here is a quick question. User A has created a report using an excel sheet on a shared network drive (to which i do not have access), so when User A published the report to the PBI Service workspacce , do i need access to the shared folder as well to see the dataset?

Also do the users need access to the SSAS Cube to view the dataset?

The import mode is connected to excel. When it is published to the service, it will not access this report by virtue of the user ID, unless there is RLS in the report.

To access the report of SSAS data source, you need to match the user in SSAS to access it. You can set the"map user name" in the data source settings.

In addition, with the information you provided, I can't tell why I can't see the dashboard and datasets. According to what you said, you have been assigned the role of this workspace. What role is it? What license? Is it an external user? What options are turned off by tenant settings?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am not an expert in Power BI, but I would think if the dataset is published to the service, then the data is in the service and is no longer connected to the file located in share. Now if the report is scheduled to refresh off of that share, then I could see an issue. You would have to schedule that report to refresh with credentials that have access to the share.

You might want to associate the Power BI workspace with a Workspace Onedrive. This is on the settings page for the workspace. Similar to how power BI worksapces worked a couple years ago, they all had a SharePoint Group tied to them by default. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors