Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dali748
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying data?

Hi,

I gave a coworker access to reports under a "group workspace" but he gets the following message when he tries to access them.

"You cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset.  Please contact the dataset owner to request access."

I set him up with "View" access in PowerPI Service for this "group workspace", why is he not able to view the report?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dali748 , 

What's the permission of this coworker on the dataset?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

@v-jayw-msft I just changed him to "Read, reshare, build" and he still says he can't gain access to the report. 

This is what he tells me he's seeing:

On 2 reports he now sees this:

Report security check

Hang on while we check permissions

And on the other report he still sees the original message I wrote in this post.

Thank you!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

One way this occurs is if the dataset is in a different workspace than the report. In this case, the permissions do not automatically flow through to the dataset. Is this the case?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I am having that issue with a dataset that is in another workspace.  Can you tell me how to fix?  Do I have to add them to the permissions in the original workspace dataset?

Thanks!

@Allisond  I'm having the same issue regarding permissions on a report with a dataset in a different workspace.  Were you able to find an answer to your problem?  I'm researching, but haven't had much luck yet.

@Greg_Deckler  No, this isn't the case; dataset and report are within the same workspace.

It's weird, sent this to another coworker and they can view it fine...is it something else it can be?

Thank you!

It's possible something went haywire when provisioning the permissions to the dataset. Have you checked the underlying dataset permissions to see if the user who cannot see the report has access?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

I see the coworker that can't see it is listed as a "Viewer" under this dataset for permissions, and the other coworker who can see the report is listed as "Read, reshare, build" permissions; but as a "Viewer" shouldn't he be able to see the report as well?  Do I need to set him up as "Read, reshare, build" as well?

Thank you!

Hi, could you find a solution to this? I have the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors