Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pascal

Cannot register using work E-Mail | E-Mail not found in @###.com

Hello,

I am having issues signing up for the free version of Power Bi Service. Whenever I try to sign up using my work E-Mail I get the massage saying that my E-Mail was not found within my Organisation. However the E-Mail works just fine in general and I used it to sign up for this forum. 

I was under the impression that the free version does not require a Office 365 account. Is that not the case? And if it requires one, would that be linked to additional costs?

8 REPLIES 8
ferreat

I am experiencing the same problem. My company domain is with Godaddy; but I am using the hosted email service provided by Zoho, i.e., there are no email accounts created on Godaddy servers but all of them are on Zoho servers.

When I try to sign up for free to Power BI I get the message that my user could not be found within my organization and then propmts a link below to sign in to my email within my organization which takes me to Godaddy.

Can you spot in my account what my problem might be?

Cheers,

I am using Zoho and have not had any issues when receiving emails from Power BI.

It would appear that your DNS for your MX records are not pointing to the Zoho servers

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pascal

What happens is that when the first person from your organization signs up to Power BI, in the background it creates an Azure Active Directory which is actually part of Office 365.

So as @Anonymous correctly indicated you would need the person who is the Admin for your Power BI / Office 365 subscription have a look into the Azure Active Directory settings and what needs to be configured.

When I set mine up personally I did not have to do anything as I did receive the required email.

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Regarding this issue. I would like to setup a Power BI account but the company does not have Office 365 nor Azure. The company email is managed on prem.

I've been trying to find a place where I can see what "work email" means. 

Because you can have a company email based on something other then Exchange.

Also if the company has Exchange and not Office 365, does Power BI work?

I did a test with a company email and I got an error.

Do I have to have Azure AD in order for this to work? Do I need to have Exchange online?

Thx,

Miguel

Hi @moliveira

You do not need exchange or Azure or Office 365 to start it will create the Azure Active Directory for you in the background.

And when I signed up I was and still am using another email provider and it send me the confirmation emails to sign up. So just make sure that you are receiving all emails.

Power BI Blog

Thx @GilbertQ. I guess that our customers that use for example GSuite form Google this is not going to work, since comercial email providers do not work.

Also I assume that with this approach if we have several people in the same organization Power BI will be smart enough and use the same Azure AD for the entire organization right? In the Pro version it's possible to share reports within that organization without Office 365 as well?

The Power BI website is not very clear on what is a work email. A lot of people use gmail for work. They should have a list of what email providers will not work.

Hi @moliveira

As far as I am aware for Power BI to work and to be able to Share Dashboards it requires having Office 365 with Azure Active Directory. This is so that it can store the users credentials when they log into Power BI.

The underlying Azure Active Directory is free when signing up to Power BI and gets created behind the scenes.

In terms of allowing Gmail email address into the Power BI Service, I am fairly certain that they have restricted it to gmail, hotmail, live and possibly a few other email addresses. As explained above it is due to using Azure Active Directory and no way of knowing who has to administer all the email address.

What I would suggest is to register a domain name, and then you can still use your Gmail to configure it to receive emails from your new domain. After which you can then use this new domain to sign up for Power BI.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

1. The registration does not require Office 365 subscribtion - any working e-mail should do.

2. I had similar issue and my sys-admin fixed some settings with Azure Active Directory - something that had to do with the email address (although we didn't have Office 365 subscribtion, but it helped)

Hope this helps

Good luck

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors