Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

randomconjectur

Cannot refresh dataset for Azure SQL Server

I have a SQL Server dataset that was automatically refreshing just fine for months. After updating the dataset, I am now getting the following error:  

randomconjectur_0-1656621883569.png

Nothing is listed after the colon. The only data source is SQL Server. 

Here's the view of the data source in Power BI desktop per this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-admin-troubleshoot-unsupported-data-s...:

randomconjectur_1-1656622103003.png

There are a number of different tables, but they are all from the same database and this source information is structured identically for each of them. 

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you're really stuck, copy one of your queries in a dataflow to see if it refreshes successfully, and if it does, migrate the rest of your queries to dataflows then source your dataset from them.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
randomconjectur

Nevermind.  The data set based on the dataflow seems to have decided to permit me to schedule a refresh now and stopped giving me the "the following data sources currently don't support refresh" message.  Thanks!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @randomconjectur 

You mentioned you update your dataset , how did you update ? After you updating your dataset , did you update your gateway in Manage gateways ? Can you refresh normally in Desktop ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am able to update the dataset in Desktop and in the web app -- but as shown in my screenshot, I cannot *schedule* a refresh.  I do not have a gateway installed as this is an Azure managed instance that, as far as I understand, does not require one (and never did before).  As I mentioned, this worked just fine for months.

I have used @otravers' suggestion of using a dataflow instead of refreshing the data set.  I did that and set up a refresh schedule; it works perfectly. However, the dataset that is based on the dataflow still has exactly the same error (no option to refresh it, exactly as shown in the screenshot I posted initially). 

So . . . now I have a dataflow that updates, but still no way to update my dataset. 

Any further help would be appreciated!

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Several of us have seen this bug lately, seems to happen with SQL sources in particular. Refresh your browser or try a bit later and it should go away.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Unfortunately, I have been getting the error for many days.  I even tried republishing it under a different name.  No dice. 😞 

If you're really stuck, copy one of your queries in a dataflow to see if it refreshes successfully, and if it does, migrate the rest of your queries to dataflows then source your dataset from them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors