Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrettBailey
Frequent Visitor

Cannot publish to a new Workspace

I'm on a pro trial license which I started a day ago. 

Today I've created a new workspace (using the "new" experience) and I'm trying to publish my report to it.

I get a message saying that "Only Users with a Power BI Pro License can publish to this workspace"

I've tried logging out of both the the desktop designer and app.powerbi.com but this has made no difference.

I've searched this forum and found several similar issues but none of them have any steps that I can try to follow.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrettBailey
Frequent Visitor

Tested again today and now it works "all by itself".

I can now publish the report to the workspace which I first created directly from power bi desktop without any additional action.  I didn't go into the licensing settings or try to pull the data from the workspace.

I'm not the first to have this issue and to get a similar result.  I would suggest that there must be an issue somewhere in power bi that needs to be addressed, but for me at least the solution appears to be: post on here and wait a week.

Thank you very much for trying to help me everyone.

@Nishantjain @Ashish_PowerBI @venal @Icey 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BrettBailey
Frequent Visitor

Tested again today and now it works "all by itself".

I can now publish the report to the workspace which I first created directly from power bi desktop without any additional action.  I didn't go into the licensing settings or try to pull the data from the workspace.

I'm not the first to have this issue and to get a similar result.  I would suggest that there must be an issue somewhere in power bi that needs to be addressed, but for me at least the solution appears to be: post on here and wait a week.

Thank you very much for trying to help me everyone.

@Nishantjain @Ashish_PowerBI @venal @Icey 

Hi @BrettBailey ,

Glad to hear that. Maybe you could accept your reply as a solution.Smiley Wink

Best Regards,

Icey

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I would also try the following

Go to the following portal and check if you have the licence
https://portal.office.com/account/#subscriptions

Next, I wi try to load the power bi desktop file directly on the service. Go to your workspace in Power BI service. On the bottom left corner you will find the option "Get Data". Click there and then select local source, find your power bi desktop file and load it. This should either publish your report or may give you a different error message

Hope this helps
Thanks
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@BrettBailey 

Can you please check it in the O365 admin portal for the license settings.

Please share the screenshot.

Check the same in Power BI Servcie >> Settings >> Manage Personal Storage (To know the Power BI License). >> Share the screenshot.

Can you plese try to publish the file in another way from Power BI Service.

Power BI Service >> Select the workspace >> Get Data >> Files >> Get >> Local File >> Browse the PBIX file.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Ashish_PowerBI

Hi @BrettBailey ,

Can you check with your Power Bi Admin, under the tenant setting like your organisation or your group has access to create new workspace.

Regards

Ashish Jain

Hi @Ashish_PowerBI 

Thanks for your suggestion, I guess I'm the reluctant power bi admin as I'm on a trail.  I have permission to create workspaces as I did create the workspace successfull, I just cannot add content to it once created.

Happy to look at that setting though - do you have an idea where to look for it?  is it in Active Directory / office 365 or power bi?

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrettBailey ,

I have tested on my side, but it works fine.

Do you try to recreate the new workspace and publish it again?

If you still have the problem, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It doesnt help, as I'm also unable to create a support ticket.

I've been able to work-around the issue by creating a new team in the Microsoft Teams chat app which auto-magically appears as a workspace in power bi.  I can then publish to that workspace but not a workspace I create through the power bi portal.

~Brett

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors