Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HowardB
Regular Visitor

Cannot pin shape based heat map tile too dashboard error message says "too much data"

Hi,

I have created a report of 6 visualisations 4 are simple pie charts one is a small table view and the other is a shape map which has approx 209 boundary shapes within the borders of a map of England that I am using as the basis for a HEAT map. I published the report and then created a dashboard and started to pin the visualisation tiles in the report to the dashboard. The first one I tried was the HEAT map tile and I get a message saying "Cannot pin to dashboard, too much data"

The shape file I used to create the map was a topojson file only 177kb in size and each shape has 2 pieces of text information associated with it which doesnt seem a lot of data for a program that can handle millions of rows of data.

Can anybody either tell me whether this is a known problem or whether I am making some sort of procedural error?

I note that similar issues were reorted some time ago

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cannot-pin-custom-shape-map-to-a-dashboard/m-p/61422#M12056 

not sure if those issues and mine are related, any help greatly appreciated

HowardB

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HowardB,

Do you create heatmap following the guide in this link? If so, are you able to pin heatmap when you create it without shape file? 

And if you use built-in maps rather than custom map to create a shape map as basis for heatmap, can you successfully pin the visual to dashboard?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Sorry I relplied in an email to v-yuezhe-msft:

Well I think what you are calling a built-in map was what I was doing. I was calling it customised because I developed it further by adding my own shape data. In terms of the visualisation I selected UK as the tile setting then added the shape file and metadata to create the tile. When I dragged this to my dashboard I got the error message I have reported but here is the weird thing. If I publish the entire report to a new dashboard it adds all the tiles no problem. So I have a wprkaround but I still think there may be a problem to be looked at, unless ofc a load of people say they have had no similar problems?

Hi  @HowardB,

Do you only use shape map or create another heatmap using shape file?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors