Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot get a line graph based on a pivoted table to auto refresh

Hello,

I have a SQL database with a large number of transations from plant sensors.  

Time, SensorName1,  Value

Time, SensorName1,  Value

Time, SensorName2,  Value

Time, SensorName3,  Value

etc.

I can build a line graph ( with a data from a Direct Query), set the filters to a SensorName and it draws nicely and the page refresh works as it should (in my case every 30 seconds)

Time,  SensorName1Value, SensorName2Value

Now I want to draw a line graph with two trend lines on it (SensorName1 and SensorName2), so i set up a table, using an import query and use the query editor to pivot it.  The line graph looks ince and refreshes every 30 seconds but in this case the underlying table does not refresh automatically.

It is almost as if a table built with an import query does not auto refresh like the direct query one does.

Any suggestions?

- I have created a view in SQL that pre-pivots the data but I cannot figure how to load it into PowerBI

Thanks,

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Stephen, you guessed right about the source of your refresh issue. Automatic refresh doesn't work for Import sources, but you could merge your DQ and Import tables in a composite model:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

Import tables have to be refreshed via a dataset refresh, they're not happening in real time and they're limited to 8 a day in shared capacity. 

There's nothing special about loading a view, they're listed alongside with tables when you connect to a SQL database, can you elaborate on what the issue is?

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Stephen, you guessed right about the source of your refresh issue. Automatic refresh doesn't work for Import sources, but you could merge your DQ and Import tables in a composite model:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

Import tables have to be refreshed via a dataset refresh, they're not happening in real time and they're limited to 8 a day in shared capacity. 

There's nothing special about loading a view, they're listed alongside with tables when you connect to a SQL database, can you elaborate on what the issue is?

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors